Microphone for nature recording.

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am currently looking into purchasing a zoom f6. I was wondering if anyone could give me any cheap recommendations for microphones. Im wanting to record nature sounds such as the Sea, Birds etc..

Many thanks

Buy cheap you get cheap with poor sound reproduction, just not worth getting. From what you posted may I suggest you look towards getting a stereo microphone . I have 3 microphones for different videos. My go to one is the Azden SMX-30v which can be via a dial anything from stereo to directional and does not produce that "tinny" sound". the other is A panasonic VW-VMS10 about half the price of the Azden but this has poorer sound, not bad but not as good. the other is purely directional and that is the sennheiserf MKE400.
Dont forget to factor into the cost a decent wind muffler "deadcat" to cut out wind rumble across the microphone. The best I have found asr made by Gutmann from Germany which has the longest hairs.
Every on looks at Rhode microphones but they have a couple of issues I don't like. The first is the audio lead, this is fixed into the microphone and if damaged you microphone is buggered. the second issue is the batteries , Rhode use 9v square and having to remove the microphone from the camera to replace. The Azden has detachable audio leads and uses 2x AA batteriess or the camera battery if necessary.

I have a Rode NTG2 microphone (directional) that takes XLR connector leads and could be powered by the Zoom F6 phantom power outlet, as can lots of Rode microphones.
I don't think that that will pick up sounds very well from either side as it is a directonal microphone. I don't understand when the OP wants a zoom f6 anyway when a good stereo microphone and editing suite should suffice.

I don't think that that will pick up sounds very well from either side as it is a directonal microphone. I don't understand when the OP wants a zoom f6 anyway when a good stereo microphone and editing suite should suffice.
I may be missing something here but if the OP didn't have a recorder how can he/she record anything as he/she has not mentioned using any camera or camcorder?

As the site is a photographic site one assumes the op has either a camera or camcorder. If not then the post should go onto a site dedicated for audio

Back