microphone on camcorder sensitivity

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
P1051181.JPG

Ok I may have rattled on a bit before about this setup Panasonic HC-x1500 with Vw-hu1 handle and Azden SMX-30V moicrophone but I have come across one drawback and tgrying ro resolve at the moment. The microphone is a brilliant bit of kit but oh so so sensative to the slightest thing. When walking with it I kept getting a "knocking" which drove me mad so done a bit of investigation.
turns out it was the audio cable touching any part of the setup even the camcorder body. So in the photo above I have taped up the coiled audio cable for the time being. Also swapped over to a right angle plug as a straight one hit the handle top., Trying to find a 20cm 3pole right angle audio lead are as rare as hens teeth but i did eventually find more or less what I was after even though one end was straight.
Plenty of longer ones but that would have caused the same issue so 20cm should be just about right although in red

Last edited:
Neil
I have been looking around on the internet and I think I have found the right cable at last apart from the colour. The main issue was length but with this one shown below not only is the right length but the straight end in the camcorder should hold the cable away from the camcorder, I hope. The right angle end is a must to clear the camcorder handle. May even make the whole rig look more sexy ;)

zzz cable.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will be happier if you buy this cable in a coiled design. They hug the camera better and adjust for length between points easier. I switched to the coiled versions several years ago and was very pleased with the results. Having cable loops sticking out from the camera just allows them to catch on things.

Charley

No Charley the coiled version is what I want to avoid at all costs keeps it well away fom camera body and microphone. had it on the camcorder originally and just kept knocking the c amcorder or microphone side while walking
. Maybe ok on a tripod with little movement but definately not otherwise
P1051188.JPG

this excellent Azden microphone being so far foreward makes the camcorder front heavy. So next step is to utilise the microphone cradle that came with the handdle

P1051191.JPG

so bought a much lighter stereo microphone which comes tomorrow hopefully to fit that cradle a Panasonic VW-VMS10E-K uni-directional external Stereo Microphone that is a third the weight and I will remove the mounting part as won't be needed. also will sit further back I hope

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry that I couldn't help.

What we do and how we do it is significantly different. I'm using a Canon DSLR in a SmallRig cage, and my Rode mic is attached to the cage. The coiled cord threads through the cage to the mic connector on the camera, so the coiled version of the cable is stretched slightly and doesn't move around making noise. In retrospect, I probably could have bought a low end pro camcorder, for what I have invested in this rig.

Charley

Attachments

• Video Camera Setup 10  IMG_20220206_163505.jpg
    Video Camera Setup 10 IMG_20220206_163505.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
this camcorder I have has in the handle (not included but bought seperately) has the xlr controls built in and the ports on the other sidea plus a led light at the front. earphones plug imto back of camcorder

P1051203.JPG

Less to carry and assemble than thatone on your rig. .

As it is supposed to be the lighest 4K camcorder available it sits comfortably on my Manfroltto Befree live tripod.The built in ball tripod head save adjusting the legs for levelling up

P1051208.JPG

on the tripod arm ia a wired remote for on/off and zoom only

Last edited:
Back