Microsoft Visual C++

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone say what that program is used for.

If I don't need it I'd as soon uninstall it.

PC is used for internet etc, photo editing, windows media, word processing.

I don't create web pages or anything like that.

It is a tool to create programmes in the computer language called Visual C++. If you have the installation discs and you don't use it, then uninstall.

Just make sure its not the C++ runtime or something may stop working if you take it off.

Thanks folks.
There are 2 programs listed under Add/Remove programs:-
MS C++ 2005 Redistributable
MS C++ 2008 Redistributable

Looks like they can be removed.

These are the runtime libraries needed by other programs written using various flavours of MS Dev Studio. Removing them could well stop other apps from running, they don't take up much space so best leave them alone.

:agree: These will have been installed as part of another application installed on your PC, removing them will stop something else working.

Thanks folks.
There are 2 programs listed under Add/Remove programs:-
MS C++ 2005 Redistributable
MS C++ 2008 Redistributable

Looks like they can be removed.

Errr, that's probably not safe to remove. It's not the Visual C++ development program itself, rather, they are they to support some other application developed in Visual C++. Remove them and your other programs may well stop working.

Errr, that's probably not safe to remove. It's not the Visual C++ development program itself, rather, they are they to support some other application developed in Visual C++. Remove them and your other programs may well stop working.

Cheers for all that folks.
Looks like they are best left alone, then.

I'd leave those two alone but you can uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ if you don't want to write anything in C++.

(I am curious as to why you had it installed already on your machine? I had to download it from the internet when I wanted it.)

I'd leave those two alone but you can uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ if you don't want to write anything in C++.

(I am curious as to why you had it installed already on your machine? I had to download it from the internet when I wanted it.)

Wish I could answer that one. Bit of a mystery actually and it had me suspecting spyware. AVG antimalware finds nothing, nor does a Hijack This scan.

I have my drive partitioned and I keep the segment I have named G purely for internet downloads, otherwise I don't use it.

Yesterday I found a load of files on G relating to something called Visual Studio 9 Beta. All these files "Properties" indicated that they were created in Nov 2007, but they were not there before.
That set me looking in Add/Remove programs to see if they may relate to something there and that's when I saw the entries mentioned in my earlier post.

I can only guess at 2 explanations:-

Windows update/SP3, or
Prior to me getting PSE7 I used Paint.NET and that required me to obtain Microsoft FRAMES.
Whether the programs arrived with one of those, I cannot say.

I try to keep my PC's "lean" and tend to dump anything that I don't strictly need, hence my interest in getting shot of of the 2 programs mentioned

Maybe I have confused things here.
The 2 programs I have are:-
MS C++ 2005 Redistributable (size 5.21MB)
MS C++ 2008 Redistributable (size 6.68MB)

I don't have the MS C++ development program as used by programers.

Yep you should keep them.
They are the Redistributables and not the IDE and are required to allow programs written in C++ (with Microsoft Visual studio or visual C++ express).
They aren't big files either so they're good to keep.

Yep you should keep them.
They are the Redistributables and not the IDE and are required to allow programs written in C++ (with Microsoft Visual studio or visual C++ express).
They aren't big files either so they're good to keep.

Thanks - being kept.

Back