Mid-air water drop

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Always enjoyed taking this type of shot, and felt the urge to have another crack at one today:

2464779682_093dff05c3.jpg

Nice! Tell us more about how you got it?

Cheers,
James

As said, a fantastic example of this kind of shot. Brilliant.

Lovely shot indeed, and welcome to the forum too.:wave:

Great shot! Got to try something like that myself!

I really like how it's like a miniature picture inside the droplet, very effective!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing shot!!!! WOW.

Can you please tell me what camera did you use, what lens setting and flash?? I want to try this too :)

I always use an Olympus SP-550. Very good camera, although focusing can be a bit dodgy at times.

For this shot and others like it, I use a shutter speed of 1/1000, aperture of 5.6, and a medium-level flash. Focus on the syringe/eye-dropper and commence dripping ;)

Let me know if you need any more help.

Cool thanks for the info :)

All I need now is a Flash lol. did you use the stock lens? do you think I can get shots like this with my stock lens on my canon D400 18-55m?

realy liking it, feeding syringe, automatic or 2 person job?

I like this so simple and pretty although I know there was nothing simple or easy about capturing it. The flower in the water drop is so clear. Lovely (y)

that is spot on a great shot

The sharpness in the droplet is amazing.
My question though.. You focus the syringe to get the focus for the drop.. but how can you tell that the drop is going to be at the right distance to show a decent reflection. Presumably the droplet needs to be a certain distance to focus it's background?

I think half of the pictures attraction is in appreciating the complexity of taking it.

I've always found that a drop will always refract the background no matter how far away it is. The size of the subject (in this case, the flower) will increase or decrease in the drop, depending on distancing, but whether or not you can actually see the refraction depends on how in focus it is.

And thanks again everyone :)

Hmmm.. They should make lenses out of water drops :D (PS if that is actually an idea worth any money then I hereby patent it the H20-Lens ;) )

I recall an article on 'tomorrows world' years ago about a water component in a lens specially developed for use on helicopters. The gist of it was that the water would viabrate in time with the vibration from the engine, and (by magic seemingly) camera shake was completely eliminated!

Great shot BTW - I'd assumed the flow in the drop was a photoshop job, no?

Great photo, obviously. And I think it should be held up as an example to all the gear snobs who say you need lots of expensive kit to take good photos.

excellent :notworthy:

Back