Mid range zoom?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, thanks to Hacker I will be recieving a D200 tomorrow and I am looking for a mid range zoom to go with it. I've currently got a D40 with the kit lens, Sigma 10-20 and nikon 70-300 VR. I will probably sell the D40 as a kit so will need the lens for the D200.
So far i have been looking at the Sigma 24-70 2.8 macro or the Sigma 18-50 2.8 HSM. It would be nice to have the Nikon 17-55 but the cost is just way over budget.
I have read some good things on here about the Sigma's, and i'm certainly happy with my 10-20, but some reviews talk about noisy and sometimes inaccurate focusing on the 24-70.
I want the best IQ possible for the money along with the versatility of a decent zoom range for a walk about lens. I do plan to get a nifty 50 soon which I will probably use mainly for portraits.
Anyone got any advice or ideas? thanks for your help, ben:)

If your not up for the posh glass, buy that 50, a new pair of trainers and stand closer/further away.
You have 20 and down, you have 70 and up, fast 50 imo.:)

Tamron 17 -50mm 2:8. Excellent lens for the money.

Chris
Thanks i'll have a read around for that one:)

If your not up for the posh glass, buy that 50, a new pair of trainers and stand closer/further away.
You have 20 and down, you have 70 and up, fast 50 imo.:)
:LOL: thanks, i am planning to get a nifty 50 and maybe some new shoes!
What i really want is a 'poshish' version of the nikon 18-70 kit lens with good IQ and easy focusing in low light.(y)

Thou shalt not mock the 18-70! IQ of that lens is, for the price, bloody awsome! :p;)... But yes, I agree, the minimum aperture range leaves a little to be desired :D

If you get a good copy of the sigma 24-70, you'll not regret it. Never had the pleasure of playing with the tamron, so couldn't commend on that lens. Shame the 17-55 Nikkor is out of budget... Don't think that lens has come off my camera since I got it! Love it to bits.

Thou shalt not mock the 18-70! IQ of that lens is, for the price, bloody awsome! :p;)... But yes, I agree, the minimum aperture range leaves a little to be desired :D

If you get a good copy of the sigma 24-70, you'll not regret it. Never had the pleasure of playing with the tamron, so couldn't commend on that lens. Shame the 17-55 Nikkor is out of budget... Don't think that lens has come off my camera since I got it! Love it to bits.
thanks Woodsy:), I would love to get the 17-55 but the cost is just too hard to justify really. The variation with the sigma 24-70 & the 18-50 is a bit of a worry, guess i would have to get one from a UK supplier to make a return easy if needs be.
I've had a look at reviews for the Tamron and they are encouraging from the IQ results. I'm not sure if the build quality would be the same though, they look a little plasticy in the pics i've seen.
I've also read a bit about the Tokina 16-50 which seems to be well made but maybe not very sharp at 2.8.
anyone have any thoughts on these or other suggestions?:shrug:

What exactly is your budget? Also, have you considered second hand? I could mention the Nikon 24-105 VR but tbh, after reading somer reviews, I wouldn't bother.

Try looking in local camera shops that deal with second hand for lenses such as the Nikkor 24-70 or even the 17-55, because even second hand, you can pick up some blisteringly good kit. Otherwise the Sigma 24-70 is a safe bet. :)

Back