Wales Mid Wales Astro ideas

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Being the start of the milky way season it just happens that I've been invited to a media event in midwales in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping to combine it with a few nights (pending cloud cover etc) to do some astro given I will be in or around the dark sky areas of the elan valley.

I know there are the Damns but I've not seen an angle that i like in many photos so i am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

I am thinking village churches, landscapes with some foreground interest etc. The main thing is finding the foreground interest and then I can plan to see whether the milky way works around it.

Hi. Being the start of the milky way season it just happens that I've been invited to a media event in midwales in a couple of weeks.

I am hoping to combine it with a few nights (pending cloud cover etc) to do some astro given I will be in or around the dark sky areas of the elan valley.

I know there are the Damns but I've not seen an angle that i like in many photos so i am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

I am thinking village churches, landscapes with some foreground interest etc. The main thing is finding the foreground interest and then I can plan to see whether the milky way works around it.

Personally I do think random scenes are sometimes the way to go. I had a quick look at Elan in the past & also didn't really see anything (on Google maps etc) that really took my fancy!

I've done a few local scenes (to me!) lately that have been okay considering they aren't Stonehenge, Durdle Door, a famous Lighthouse, etc

Such as this. It's not anything special, it's not WOW, but it's okay.

I think....

*** by Lee, on Flickr

yes somethingg like that but its knowing where to go. I've marked a few churches and lakes on google maps but hoping someone with local experience may be able to advise!!

yes somethingg like that but its knowing where to go. I've marked a few churches and lakes on google maps but hoping someone with local experience may be able to advise!!

Yeah it's not always as easy just on maps. I've got lucky a few times though.

Personally I do think random scenes are sometimes the way to go. I had a quick look at Elan in the past & also didn't really see anything (on Google maps etc) that really took my fancy!

I've done a few local scenes (to me!) lately that have been okay considering they aren't Stonehenge, Durdle Door, a famous Lighthouse, etc

Such as this. It's not anything special, it's not WOW, but it's okay.

I think....

*** by Lee, on Flickr

I like that, what was the exposure time on it ?

The Elan valley has some good points to shoot from. My favourite though had building work and scaffolding when I was there a few months ago, that may have gone now. The water levels were still quite low but may have increased during the winter months although it’s not been that wet.

Back