Critique Midlands Waterways

Edit My Images
No
I said when I joined I would post a few items from my back catalogue to get the hang of this commenting lark before I say anything about anybody else’s work.

Let’s start with one of my favourite subjects (Midlands’s canals) and favourite techniques (Infra-Red)

C&C invited

Bridge56 by Red.5ive.Oh, on Flickr

Intersting image how di you achive it? Is it 2 images one colour and one with the IR image?

At first I didn't like it but I keep comng back and looking at it and I do like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s actually a single image. It was taken on a converted Nikon D50. The camera’s IR blocking filter (sometimes referred to as a ‘hot mirror’) has been replaced with a ‘strong’ visible light blocking filter with a 820nm cut off which means the sensor is operating well away from the visible light region it was optimised for. Processing the resulting raw file requires the setting of a custom WB using foliage as a reference point. This normally gives a pure monochrome image but occasionally a small amount of colour bleeds through in bright areas such as the sky. Normally this results a muddy brown sky which can be eliminated by converting the whole image to monochrome or swapping the red and blue colour channels to give a more visually pleasing result.

With this image it was just the brickwork bleeding through so rather than eliminate it, the saturation slider has been pushed close to max. Apart from that it’s had levels adjusted and sharpened.

Thanks for looking

Back