Migrating from LR 6 to LR CC - A few questions

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I would like to migrate from LR 6 to LR CC but having given it a go, I hit a few issues and would be very grateful for any guidance

1) I have a library in LR 6 built up over many years, neatly organised as D:\Client Images>YYYY.MM.DD Client Name & E:\Personal Images>YYYY>YYYY.MM.DD Occassion or Holiday etc..
From what I have gathered so far, LR CC does not adhere to or recognise the pre-existing folder structure when migrating a catalog across? So far everything just seems to be dumped together. Is there anyway to retain this folder structure and if not, any workarounds or alternatives?

2) LR CC seems want to move the files to a new location, which seems bizarre as it's killing my disk space. Can this be prevented or turned off?

3) Is there anyway to only selectively upload images to the cloud? My library in total is 2.5tb but I only would need my personal images in the cloud so I can edit on my laptop when away from desktop.

Many thanks in advance!

I am not 100% sure but what you need is LR Classic.

This is the one that allows for locally retained HDD directory storage structure but Cloud space for doing what you outline.

I hope others more in the know can qualify what I describe!

PS here https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

There is a video by Jacqueline Kost and though only mentioned in passing I think she says that you can use Classic but also sync with the Cloud for sharing/editing?

Last edited:
Yeah, you totally want LR Classic CC edition. Not LR CC :)

I have no idea who at Adobe was allowed to name these things but LR Classic is the LR you know and love. LR CC is more like a cut down presentation app. It can do editing and stuff but it appears basically designed to sell you cloud storage.

As above! Lightroom CC is for a mobile based workflow, Lightroom CC Classic is the Lightroom for desktop workflow, although you can sync some files to the cloud to get them on your smartphone/tablet in Lightroom CC.

sorry can't help with catalogues (ive never migrated) but to confirm as above, if you remove the "CC" part from the title makes life a little easier/more sense.

LR classic (as we/you know) with the option to sync to LR and have them on mobiles or multiple places.
LR cloud-based sync with no 'physical copy on your drives, basically it downloads a smart copy, then you edit and it syncs edits to the cloud.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to have both with the subscription? don't think you can just subscribe to one or the other, but I could be wrong on this.

just in case, you can use LR or LR classic side by side and on desktop/laptops, but you can also use the same LR on, mobiles, tablets etc.

Confirming the comments above. I recently gave in and took out a subscription to the 'plan'. I use Lightroom Classic and have created a collection which is synced to LR which is running on both my laptop and on my 'phone. I can use the apps to show any pictures I copy into the collection on Lightroom classic using these devices.

Anthony

A young lady friend signed up to the cc plan , it also uploaded thousands of phone images of hers and within a couple of weeks was asking her for increased subs , stick to classic

A young lady friend signed up to the cc plan , it also uploaded thousands of phone images of hers and within a couple of weeks was asking her for increased subs , stick to classic
good point there, remember to turn off auto-upload if you gett LR CC

Thank you everyone, this really got me out of a pickle. Really appreciated!

Back