Mild scramble around Fuji X choices

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
So we all shoot in our own way. Looking at my situation right now, pretty busy, don't like carrying too much 'stuff' around, mainly wildlife shooter but not heading to Africa again until likely July 2017, like city breaks and street shooting, seems the ideal option for right now is one of the Fuji cameras. I'm mildly scrambled tho about which and need some advice. I'll be buying used.

I like the idea of the X100T as I know I can carry it with me each day and not feel burdened. It's a simple solution. But then the X-T10 looks a better build and better usability from reviews (tho not conclusive). Or there's the X-T1 which seems top of the tree, great build and usability but price maybe too high still used for good example, tho likely to reduce quite a bit when the v2 comes out (as rumoured!!) Finally in the ring is the X-E2 which seems to have all the internals of the others, esp with the new firmware, but is less 'prized' and so available cheaper. Is it built well enough and usable enough tho? My instinct is probably the X-T10 with either the 18mm or 27mm as a combo of quality build and size. Make sense?

So what would you go for? Usability/handling is high priority for me so having the ISO easy accessible is probably important - looks like the X-E2 doesn't have the top dial for that. Changing lenses I dunno if I need it for street/city stuff, tho a decent wide angle is always handy. Maybe that rules out the X100T? I'm hoping I can get some kind of combo for close to £525, tho maybe add some if a great used deal comes up?

My final question is I've had a series of Nikon D300s/D700s over the years and love them for wildlife. So other than size/weight (both important) advantages, will the Fuji be a downgrade in final image quality for just street/city shooting?

I reckon that for your current wants/needs, an X-Pro1 with an 18-55 would fit the bill and budget. The older 16-50 would be even cheaper, although it's slower as well. Like you, the X100? is quite attractive to me but I would find the fixed focal length too restrictive and the awkwardness of fitting the supplementary lenses to change effective focal lengths makes them a non-starter IMO - easier and possibly cheaper to stick with interchangeable lenses and/or zooms!

Interesting thought in that my initial idea was to go X-Pro1 but then the more I researched the more options came up and the Pro1 seemed a little out of date in comparison. But the going rate seems to be £250-350 on eBay and MPB and the inners seem the same. Will dig more. It doesn't have the top mounted ISO, but then neither do other options apart from the X-T1. I'm a prime fan generally but think about my actual needs again maybe the 18-55mm is a great option. Suppose a question is would mI prefer a battered T1 with 18mm or 27mm, or a T10 with same or a Pro1 with maybe the 35mm WP or 18-55mm. Similar ballpark pricing. Suspect the Pro1 is due a further depreciation drop more than the others, maybe the T1 too?

On the xe2 you have a function button right next to the shutter button that can be used for iso. The xe2 would have much better auto focus over the xpro1.

I've had an xpro1 and now have an xt10 which i much prefer as it's far smaller and faster to use. With the 27mm pancake attached I can get it in a coat pocket.
Image quality is excellent although subjectively not as good as my D700 - but I never expected it to as its a smaller sensor. Never had a D300 so can't compare. Some of the Fuji primes are stunningly sharp though.

Interesting thought in that my initial idea was to go X-Pro1 but then the more I researched the more options came up and the Pro1 seemed a little out of date in comparison. But the going rate seems to be £250-350 on eBay and MPB and the inners seem the same. Will dig more. It doesn't have the top mounted ISO, but then neither do other options apart from the X-T1. I'm a prime fan generally but think about my actual needs again maybe the 18-55mm is a great option. Suppose a question is would mI prefer a battered T1 with 18mm or 27mm, or a T10 with same or a Pro1 with maybe the 35mm WP or 18-55mm. Similar ballpark pricing. Suspect the Pro1 is due a further depreciation drop more than the others, maybe the T1 too?

The 18-55mm is really good quality lens. It's all metal construction and superb optics make it a winner. This is of a completely different standard to the Nikon / Canon kit lenses.

The X-T1 is better all round camera with respect to the X-Pro1 which AF is sluggish by comparison in particular in low light.

The X-Pro1 second hand market will be awash with bodies over the next 3-8 months and we can expect to see a price drop of these in the second hand market as the X-Pro 2 becomes more readily available.

OK, I'm an X-T1 user. I also still have an X100s and an X-E1. I don't use the latter two now I'm afraid and they will be on their way to a new home shortly.

By all means get a T1 or 10. They're great cameras in the hand and lenses are super.

However, some time ago I found the Ricoh GR is my ideal light weight travel companion, for holidays or day trips. (Or at least it was until it went walkabout recently. It has now been replaced, courtesy of the nice insurance people, by a GRII). Same sensor size as the Fujis. Great lens. Infinite button/dial customisation (but default for ISO is top jog dial). Fits in trouser pocket. Use with one hand. Great IQ. For me it's ideal.

Some great pointers here, thanks guys! I'd say the Pro1 is out of the game from further research, primarily around AF and lack of firmware updates leaving it trailing. The X-T10 looks like the bang per buck master if I can locate one at the right price, tho the X-E2 is in there if the right bargain comes up. T1 is going to out of range for now tho likely the best option usability wise. Thanks for the reminder around function buttons Matt. Am thinking seriously of the 18-55mm too for flexibility, tho the puritan in me still fancies a 35mm. Want to stay disciplined around budget - famous last words! I get the Ricoh thing for travel and I looked at it early on but just fancy the Fuji looks and lens changing options more.

X-E2 is my choice, with the latest firmware it's an excellent little camera.

For wildlife your choices are the 55-200 and 100-400 depending on your budget.

The 27mm is a stunning little lens and incredibly discrete. Put the 23mm in the bag alongside it for something faster as an everyday prime.

Watch for refurbs direct from Fuji (there's an E2 bundle stock, use the code PAYPAL12 for an extra 10% of list price). Don't pay over £300 for a used X-E2 body only.

I love my X-T10 and the XF 18-55 is a great lens. It's so discounted when sold with the body you can probably sell it later without losing money, so I think it's no-brainer. Unless funds are limited, in which case XC 16-50 users still seem to be happy with their choice. The good price on the 18-55 was a substantial part of why I bought the X-T10, in fact. I have found the X-T10 just a shade small and I prefer the handling with an L bracket and front grip piece fitted, but YMMV.

X-E2 is my choice, with the latest firmware it's an excellent little camera.

For wildlife your choices are the 55-200 and 100-400 depending on your budget.

The 27mm is a stunning little lens and incredibly discrete. Put the 23mm in the bag alongside it for something faster as an everyday prime.

Watch for refurbs direct from Fuji (there's an E2 bundle stock, use the code PAYPAL12 for an extra 10% of list price). Don't pay over £300 for a used X-E2 body only.

That refurb site is handy, but the ones I really fancy not in stock. But am going to mull over the bundle you mentioned which is about right with the code. Have an offer in on a X-T10 on ebay at the mo' so will see. Must check out the images from that 100-400mm soon.

I love my X-T10 and the XF 18-55 is a great lens. It's so discounted when sold with the body you can probably sell it later without losing money, so I think it's no-brainer. Unless funds are limited, in which case XC 16-50 users still seem to be happy with their choice. The good price on the 18-55 was a substantial part of why I bought the X-T10, in fact. I have found the X-T10 just a shade small and I prefer the handling with an L bracket and front grip piece fitted, but YMMV.

Am thinking now the X-T10/18-55mm combo will be the best overall choice longer term if I can bag a bargain somewhere. The small size does put me off a tad, but not enough to override other considerations.

Am thinking now the X-T10/18-55mm combo will be the best overall choice longer term if I can bag a bargain somewhere. The small size does put me off a tad, but not enough to override other considerations.
I got a very nice price on mine from Harrison Cameras, but that was Black Friday... YMMV... :D

I got a very nice price on mine from Harrison Cameras, but that was Black Friday... YMMV... :D

Yeah, did vary ;-) a couple of decent looking T1's there just now but £575 body only. I think I need to be patient for a while and see what turns up.

The X-T2 is coming out shortly (June?) this will force the price of the 2nd hand X-T1's down just to add that to the mix !

Yeah, heard that but didn't know when. At the moment am likely set on the X-E2 and 18-50 combo if I can find the right one/s at the right price. I saw a couple of YouTube videos on the different models and handling wise seems the most suited if I can't bag a Z-T1.

Keep an eye on wex 2nd hand. I got a new open box xe2 with the 18-55 for £499.

Thanks Matt, appreciated. I used to sell and buy mainly here but because I visit the rest of the forum only periodically I'm not allowed anymore: regulars only, which is OK. So any alternative sources of gear is very welcome. Will check out Wex now.

That's a really good summary Al thanks. Amazing the time some of these YouTube guys take to produce this stuff. He really got a good grip on the key differences to be aware of for a real world shooter. So I've failed on two fair offers for the X-T10, a bid on the X-T1 and am now just awaiting some answers to questions about X-E2. Keepin' me busy ;)

Last edited:
So managed to bag a X-T!0 via eBay. Just need a lens now. Looking for the 18-55mm OIS. May have to go for the 18mm for now to stay closer to budget ... let's see what happens!

If you really need to save money and don't mind manual focus on your primes, there's a whole world of adaptable lenses out there too. Also, I haven't tried the XC16-50, but I wouldn't rule it out if you see a good price on a used one.

I've a beautiful Pentax 50mm 1.4 on K mount so I'll have a look for an adaptor. It's a real classic. Very Zeiss-like micro contrast and colour. 50mm on a crop isn't that great but it could be a start. I used the Pentax a lot when I shot Canon, but couldn't use it when I went Nikon. I've a few others including some tiny Russian copy Leica's. Be nice to give 'em a try again.

I'm not going the 16-50 route. I hear it's decent but I'd rather wait and go 18-55mm. I'm due around £3500 hopefully around the next week or so, so as soon as it arrives I'll look seriously at supplementing the 18-55 with something fast. Shame the Zeiss 32mm 1.8 gets generally lukewarm reviews as that length would suit me normally!

I can thoroughly recommend the 23 and 56. Superb contrast and transition from in to out of focus.

Fuji have 2 35mm, the original 1.4 and the new WR 2.0 with faster auto focus.

I quite fancy the WR 35mm to be honest, but I have a bit of an emotional tie to Zeiss and the 32mm is a tiny tad wider which likely suits as well.

Not tried the WR but had the 1.4 and it's a great lens let down by noisy and a bit slow auto focus. I did try the Zeiss before I got the 1.4 and must say it felt cheap, didn't like the rubber focus ring and the indents for the aperture didn't feel nice.

Well that's worth knowing. I've owned I think 6 Zeiss, including the modern 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 50mm Macro and all built like tanks and beautiful to use. All manual focus of course. It's the build and usability I love, as well as the amazing colour, contrast and sharpness. With my D700 the focus confirm light worked brilliantly and my keeper ratio with them amazing. I like stuff to feel right. Sounds like I'll have to play with one rather than just take a chance! It seems it's only build that would set it apart as IQ wise seems it's on par with the Fuji 1.4 but for rather more money.

Not tried the WR but had the 1.4 and it's a great lens let down by noisy and a bit slow auto focus. I did try the Zeiss before I got the 1.4 and must say it felt cheap, didn't like the rubber focus ring and the indents for the aperture didn't feel nice.

Agree, the 32/1.8 is a nice lens but doesn't feel or perform as I'd expect a proper Zeiss lens to. In the end I sold it and kept the Fujinon 35/1.4 which, IMO, renders nicer and focuses at about the same pace.

So decided against the Zeiss and ended up ordering the 27mm for 'always in the pocket' style use and the 18-55 OIS. Should be here next week I guess. I ended up paying a good bit over budget but isn't that always the way in this game? The X-T10 I'm liking the whole interface and usability side already. Size is not ideal but can happily lump it. I can always go the grip route if necessary. I ordered the obligatory spare battery and new screen protector too. Still looking for suitable 'go faster' stripes. Hopefully do shooting from next week! Cheers all for your help. I reckon I ended up with pretty much the consensus of advice here and misc reviews, so done OK.

I did consider bidding on a 23mm 1.4 as that would really suit me but decided on flexibility in the end and for a little less money. Be interested in a WR version if it comes out. There seems to be a decent used market on this gear so can always sell the 27mm if needs be. I'm not that keen on the lack of aperture ring on it. The Q button is OK but just not as quick.

I'm not that keen on the lack of aperture ring on it. The Q button is OK but just not as quick
The Q button? - the rear dial directly operates the aperture very quickly with this lens.

Yes, don't know what I'm talking about :hungover:

So the 18-55mm has arrived and amazing build quality. I'd say close to Zeiss in its feel and heft. I guess it's currently underpriced due to folks selling off lenses from kits. Now I can really start to appreciate how well the camera is put together, and in particular the user interface and controls. Feels head and shoulders above the D300s/D700 bodies I've been used to this last several years. Credit to Fuji. I'm not too keen tho' on the aperture ring lacking marks. It just goes left and right which requires a look on the screen to ensure it's where you want it which is a pain when you use reading glasses but not for distance. Maybe I need to use the VF instead of the rear screen. Maybe I just need a new set of shooting habits. Would prefer to set it and be confident it won't shift during operation by accident. Am having one or two accidentally hitting button type issues. It's all a bit small. The exp control is great through the rear screen and with my ISO button set on the front dial all feels good otherwise. Some personal fine tuning probably needed as much as on the camera/lens. Will try and go wander later today.

I need to read the manual ... or watch a video:D

So enjoying life with the Fuji which is easy enough to carry around every day in my backpack! Got the cheapo HK grip which is great and learnt how to use the thing. Still not taken many shots due to dark evenings but that should improve very soon now the clocks are changed and Summer is on the way! Finances have improved now clients have finally paid up so have added the 55-200mm and a 23mm to my collection this week, which I think will be it for me now. The 23mm was my original want and couldn't afford it so am happy now it'll be arriving soon. The 27mm I bought I might sell even tho I haven't shot more than 10 shots with it, or I might keep it for simple holiday shooting tho that seems a bit of a waste of money. Will ponder, as I do like it and it balances great on the body. The 55-200 will support my next safari in 2017 and effectively be back up a Nikon long lens combo, either a zoom or prime. It'll be nicer for some town and village walkabout too. So, am glad I switched and enjoying the new toys.

Back