Milky Way and Light Pollution

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
We went out on Monday night in search of the milky way, hoping to get the first core of the year. This little fishermans hut on the Caspian sea is about 60km North from Baku city with a big industrial area in between. The mist and low cloud over Baku exacerbated the light pollution but it was nice to see the core peeping out. The weather here is still a bit iffy until May with clouds and mist a feature of the skies. The light pollution will always be there, but I think a shot in summer when the skies are dry and clear could be interesting.

The location is a Bortle class 4 and looking in many directions other than to Baku is pretty dark and clear, it's a shame the MW rises directly over the city!!

You regularly see shooting stars out here and I was lucky to catch one in this shot.

Constructive C&C welcome.

The starlight night by Alan, on Flickr

I don't know the first thing about critiquing a photo like this other than I think it's stunning. I'd be delighted with that!

Its a great shot, the direction of the milky way will shift significantly through the year, suggest you use a program like Stellarium - http://stellarium.org to see what is happening where.
The further you can get away from the pollution the more you will see, changing direction will really help and allow you to see more :)

This is a slide I use when presenting to camera clubs, it shows the viewing if you were looking straight up into the sky and the direction of the Milky Way at midnight, on the first of the month through the year - these are based on the South Coast in the UK

Sky.jpg

This second image shows how the milky way moves across the sky over one night, same location as above

sky2.jpg

Back