Milky Way and NEOWISE, also in Dorset

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Had a camping trip planned at Durdle Door, and managed to source a Samyang 24mm f/1.4 just before the trip. Shot on a Canon 5D classic, so low noise capabilities don't compete with modern cameras, but still happy enough with how it performed.

Milky Way @ Durdle Door, UK
by Rick Jeavons, on Flickr

Watching the night sky

This was shot on the Canon 50mm f/1.4 at f/1.8, got some weird artefacts on the right edge (stars look like bird wings)

NEOWISE Comet

Excellent set well done indeed ;)

Thank you Jak!

Those are great fella.

Very natural looking too.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!

These are great. We are down there in a couple of weeks but I thought the Milky Way was further to the right this time of year.... Nice to know.

Thanks Lee, yes I went years ago in May, and it was much further to the left, and more at an angle than it is now in July. I didn't realise it shifted in the sky so much. Seems like it's getting more and more vertical as the months go by. Hope you have a great time when you're down there, and some clear skies!

Cheers,
Rick

Thank you Jak!

Thanks Gaz!

Thanks Lee, yes I went years ago in May, and it was much further to the left, and more at an angle than it is now in July. I didn't realise it shifted in the sky so much. Seems like it's getting more and more vertical as the months go by. Hope you have a great time when you're down there, and some clear skies!

Cheers,
Rick

Did you stay in Durdle Door campsite? Or did you have to park outside somewhere and walk in after hours?

Did you stay in Durdle Door campsite? Or did you have to park outside somewhere and walk in after hours?

Yeah we were camping in Durdle Door campsite for a few nights. Not sure on how hot their security is so late at night, but they do ask for your car reg before you arrive. There may also be a spot out on a verge on the road, then walk in through the holiday park. Final option is Lulworth Cove, there is free parking on the single-yellow lines in evenings, then walking 30 mins across the big hill to durdle door. That is quite a bit of effort though, especially in the dark.

Yeah we were camping in Durdle Door campsite for a few nights. Not sure on how hot their security is so late at night, but they do ask for your car reg before you arrive. There may also be a spot out on a verge on the road, then walk in through the holiday park. Final option is Lulworth Cove, there is free parking on the single-yellow lines in evenings, then walking 30 mins across the big hill to durdle door. That is quite a bit of effort though, especially in the dark.

Yeah, I know you can't get in with the car through the campsite after hours - 9pm I think it shuts or something like that. It's either here or Portland I think but I'm sure we'll work something out at the time :)

The comet looks good in No 3 but the OOF figures don't do it for me at all, I'm afraid.

Durdle door looks great.

Thanks Jerry, glad you like the Durdle door one. The comet pic was just for a bit of fun with the other half and not technically a good picture, so can definitely understand why it won’t be to everyone’s liking. Cheers!

love the 1st one, the other 2 are probably more private photos i feel although nothing wrong with sharing them at all

Back