Milky Way & Candy Cane Mountains

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry to post another Milky Way thread, but I guess it is the season for it in the northern hemisphere!

Keeping an eye on the moon and weather and we were treated to clear skies whilst the moon was below the horizon. The last time I shot the Milky Way the moon was out, about 1/3 and behind me. I was amazed how much light it gave on the landscape. This time was the complete opposite, I was stunned by just how pitch black it was and incredibly difficult to see anything without a torch. The stars were certainly impressive, and I captured a much more impressive milky way, but strangely it does seem to have been more difficult to shoot.

ISO 4000, F3.5 @10mm for 30s on Canon 70D.

Experimented with some light painting of the foreground to bring out the interesting rock textures.

I think the best combination of conditions for this must be when the moon is new, or just dropping below the horizon and behind you, away from the Milky Way. To gain a mix of foreground landscape and impressive sky.

I'm fortunate to live in a location with good access to dark skies within a reasonable drive away (1 hr) and am really getting a taste for this. I'd much appreciate any suggestions on how to improve these. I guess I need a lens with a larger aperture, I'm just debating how wide do I need to go. I do enjoy the Canon 10-22 for landscapes and these shots, but the max aperture is 3.5, I'd like something wider to be able get the ISO down. Going to 2.8 doesn't feel like a particularly big step forwards. I'm toying with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. Not as wide as the 10-22, but a wider aperture.

Thoughts on how to improve these or lenses appreciated!

Xizi Milky Way by Alan, on Flickr

candy cane meets milky way by Alan, on Flickr

Personally I wouldn't go lower with the ISO as I find a slightly higher ISO seems to help bring out more detail and keeps exposure short enough to avoid star trails forming - I'm at 6400 with an f1.8 which gives me around a 20 second exposure. The Sigma may not be wide enough on a crop body but otherwise it would be an excellent choice; at a cheaper price point, the manual focus Samyang 14mm f2.8 seems to be pretty popular and produces good results.

Back