Milky Way Core my first view of the year...

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed to get a couple of days off and fitted in a short trip across the border into Cornwall. Thursday night we experienced the new moon, this was the first real chance of getting to see the Core of the Milky Way - it was a relatively short experience from 5:05 through to 5:43. A couple of shots from the evening...

Started off at Goonhilly Earth Station, on the Lizard, this is a partner with ESA in the Lunar Pathfinder mission, complete with a nice view of Orion overhead...

JFBX2919-small.jpg

The Churchyard at Gunwalloe Church Cove

JFBX2922-small.jpg

We then trekked down to the beach at Kynance Cove - a bit of a hike loaded with kit... We are looking due South, the green colour in the sky is known as Air Glow it is the faint emission of light by our atmosphere!

JFBX2956-Small.jpg

Finally the Core of the Milky Way shot from below the Lighthouse - Lizard Point

JFBX3063-Small.jpg

And finally a quick selfie - an astro portrait :)

JFBX3069-Small.jpg

These are a quick couple of edits from several hundred shots, happy to take comments & questions

Love numbers 2 and 4. Really looking forward to Milky Way season this year, nice to see some early pics.

Reactions: jfb
Love numbers 2 and 4. Really looking forward to Milky Way season this year, nice to see some early pics.

I was chuffed to get the clear window, the sky gods were kind for once. Looking forward to the next new moon :)

What FLs were you using, John?

Probably taking the D750 and 14mm f/2.8 to Crete this year (mid June and late August/early September) - hoping for clear skies. I have a feeling that it's close to new moon in June but a bit brighter for the later visit and guess which one we'll be in the South! Not sure how late/early I'll be able to be up...

What FLs were you using, John?

Probably taking the D750 and 14mm f/2.8 to Crete this year (mid June and late August/early September) - hoping for clear skies. I have a feeling that it's close to new moon in June but a bit brighter for the later visit and guess which one we'll be in the South! Not sure how late/early I'll be able to be up...
Hi Nod, for the non tracked stuff I tend to stay with the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 as it is really nicely corrected for comma correction. I also use my 8-15 fisheye zoom, but that is a not so great f4. I am sure with those dates you will get something, I found Cyprus really interesting as it went dark very quickly & it was possible to be shooting Astro 30 mins after sunset, as compared to the 1 1/2 hours you need in this country.

Do some internet research you may be able to hire a guide with a 4x4 to get you off the beaten track. Most hire cars are not covered to go off road. Get a good app such as PhotoPills - this screen shot is 1 July, it's showing moon rise at 22:57 with the core of the Milky Way clearly visible to the South East so it should work for you :)

image.png

For the later trip, we'll be in Agia Gallini for a week and that's just between the brown and dark blue lines to the West of your pin. Nothing between there and N. Africa to the South!
As you say, there's not much time between sunset and close to full dark, so here's hoping! Just need to stay relatively sober for one evening...

An excellent set, well done ;)

Back