Milky Way First Attempt

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
After much research and deliberation I finally made it out this month to take my first ever images of the Milky Way . I enjoyed the shoot but am finding the processing of the images quite challenging compared to my normal wildlife photography. I have much to learn but was quite pleased for a first attempt . I am finding a few strange tones in my sky the reason for which I dont understand , could it be the high MP of the A1 or am I introducing the tones as a result of trying to enhance the MW core in post processing ? Plenty to ponder as I eagerly await the next new moon phase and hopefully some cloudless skies. This image was a stack of 16 images stacked in Sequator and then processed ._SCD4305p-2.jpg

The magenta is usually a product of over editing and noise artifacts from my experience. Airglow is typically more of a green colour.

Best thing is to keep playing with editing and the order of editing. I often edit the RAW files to some degree, export and stack the jpeg files and then maybe some extra subtle adjustment layers and dodge/burn from there.

Whatever you do, try to keep away from the dehaze slider being more than a few clicks to the positive. Looks terrible, awful and fake, but will get you plenty of likes :)

I prefer to edit more subtly.

Great shot though for a first effort for sure :)

Brilliant for a first attempt! When I get the time astro photography is something I want to look more into.

Very well done indeed, excellent image ;)

Really nice image!!

I did my first milky way shot, but it's far from any good.... it's fun and a bit of work, I like it!

Nicely done, there are some good YouTube vids out there on MW processing, Nick Page, Alyn Wallace, Royce Bair. Experiment and have fun! And it’s as important what you put in the foreground beneath the stars as much as the stars themselves!

Nicely done, there are some good YouTube vids out there on MW processing, Nick Page, Alyn Wallace, Royce Bair. Experiment and have fun! And it’s as important what you put in the foreground beneath the stars as much as the stars themselves!
Thanks Alan and you are right about looking for some interesting foreground landscapes / subjects , its on my to do list .

For your first attempt you've pretty much nailed it. Well done. You shoukd of seen my first, it was like a chimp had smudged chalks over black paper.
You should be proud of your image.

I am also in the camp of, what a great first attempt. (y)(y)(y)

What a fantastic first attempt. I keep thinking of having ago at doing the milky way but never have

Thanks for the encouraging words Lee , it is the post processing I am finding challenging but always keen to learn and improve
It's always the post processing that's the hardest part. You'll improve each time that you take your Widefield images and process. To be fair I don't know how you will improve on your first attempt but as long as you enjoy being our under the stars is the main thing.
Lee

Back