Milky Way ~ Freshwater West War Memorial

buckas

Mister Forum Regular
Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
Following on from last years Milky Way shots found here > http://www.drewbuckleyphotography.com/blog/2010/09/16/milky-way-elegug-stacks/ & here > http://www.drewbuckleyphotography.com/blog/2010/10/12/milky-way-freshwater-west-hut/

I tried something new. Here we have the War Memorial at Freshwater West. Again using Stellarium, made sure I would be shooting the right direction and time to capture it along with the composition I had in mind in relation to the monument's position.

One image is the stars exposure, 25secs @ f/4, ISO 3200 to maximise light = more stars. Then another separate exposure for the memorial itself, lit up over a similar exposure time (but lower ISO) with a handheld torch from camera left.

Then merged in Photoshop. Really happy with the outcome and meets what I envisaged before getting to the location.

Milky_Way_Freshwater_West_War_Memorial.jpg

Thanks for looking!

drew

5D2 & 17-40/4

Now that's a cracking image & very creative in your approach

Brilliant!

I just can't get my head around the fact that you only took a twenty five second shutter @F/4 and ISO 3200 for the stars. It just doesn't quite seem enough... if that makes any sense :p

Brilliant idea though. Which way are we too look for the milkyway at the moment?

Now that's a cracking image & very creative in your approach

Thanks Les (y)

Brilliant!

I just can't get my head around the fact that you only took a twenty five second shutter @F/4 and ISO 3200 for the stars. It just doesn't quite seem enough... if that makes any sense :p

Brilliant idea though. Which way are we too look for the milkyway at the moment?

Thanks! great free program is http://www.stellarium.org/ - MW streaks across the sky every night from North to South :)

drew

excellent shot mate.. I prefer one of your previous shots with the cliffs, but nothing wrong with this one as well (y) superb capture...

I am waiting for a clear night to try this...(y)

Love the shot.

Could I ask what may be a stupid question. Why two exposures, and could the same effect be done with one longer exposure and the light painted on during the exposure time?
Cheers

Now that is spectacular missed that one earlier stunning, :clap:

Thanks!

wow! I've seen lots of photos of this monument however this is definitely different from the rest and definitely my favorite! Well Done :D

Thanks very much

excellent shot mate.. I prefer one of your previous shots with the cliffs, but nothing wrong with this one as well (y) superb capture...

I am waiting for a clear night to try this...(y)

Cheers (y)

It's great when a plan comes together (y)

Thanks!

Love the shot.

Could I ask what may be a stupid question. Why two exposures, and could the same effect be done with one longer exposure and the light painted on during the exposure time?
Cheers

Thanks!

There's mainly two shots for clarity reasons - the star shot needs to be high ISO and low aperture to get the maximum amount of stars in the time available and as such the focus is on the stars and not the monument, light painting in this shot could be done but the monument wouldn't be as clear (in focus ) and as clean as it would be if a separate shot was taken. Which is why I've taken another shot on a much lower ISO and also made sure the focus was on the monument and also to include plenty of dof to get the desired effect. Also more images mean more control over the final outcome - hope that helps (y)

That's one awesome shot fella. Really liking your stuff. (y)

Thanks very much Tim (y)

drew

Bloody marvelous shot Drew - really good!! :)

Matt

That's a very nice image, great colour in the milky way and very neatly blended.

Brilliant. When I first bought a camera this is the photo (minus cross) that I wanted to take. Still not managed it two years later. Fantastic.

Back