Milky way from the weekend @ Anglesey

Name
Rich
Spend a fair bit of my time fishing in the north of wales and has always amazed me how dark it can get on the moonless nights and how many stars are visible to the naked eye. The milky way can be seen very brightly even by eye which for people that have never seen it, I would definitely find time if your in an area of dark skies.

I rarely take my camera gear with me fishing through worry of breaking it but im glad I did this time as it was a stunning night with lots of meteors/comets and plenty of green airglow in the sky :).

In Awe
by evorichie101, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like that, glad you took your gear with you.

Your file is unavailable. (according to flickr)

That's really lovely.

Absolutely stunning... love it!!
Thank you :)

Another good one Rich, I'll be looking for pointers when we get to Iceland. Enjoy a bit off fishing as well, and your right it's rarely sensible to carry the camera,
Thanks Andy :). I do like a bit of night photography so I'm looking forward to those many dark hours in Iceland :). Mind you. Trying to capture the aurora is gonna be a learning curve for me so you might be giving me pointers :).
Been a fisherman all my life. Had a cracking weekend on Anglesey the weekend gone.
The camera comes when I can guarantee it's gonna stay dry and the likely good of it getting damaged is slim haha

Love that.

How long were you sitting still for

Love that.

How long were you sitting still for
Cheers Carl :).

This exposure was 25 or 30 seconds iirc and I had set the timer to give me enough time to get into position. So was sat still for the whole exposure. Had a few attempts before getting it right mind as the slightest movement seemed to show up.

Enjoyed looking at all your Milky way pics and the North Wales landscapes too. Love to try the milky way shot but I guess it's only possible in the countrysides rather than in the city/town due to the light pollution.

Enjoyed looking at all your Milky way pics and the North Wales landscapes too. Love to try the milky way shot but I guess it's only possible in the countrysides rather than in the city/town due to the light pollution.
A cracking image, Rich.
Thanks John and Philip :).

Yes John. Its always a struggle when there is even a hint of light pollution. Its amazing how much light the sensor picks up. When you think you are positioned somewhere extremely dark. Your camera sensor can soon show you otherwise

Stunning photo. It always makes me realise how minuscule the Earth is when I look at the Milky Way.

And why aren't you holding your fishing rod for the astro gnome look?

Love the image - its amazing quite how dark Anglesey is when you are fishing . I enjoyed some of your Welsh images too its amazing how may places I knew . Loved the South Stack light house pics too - Ive had some good Conger from down there in the past.

Awesome shot, I'm over in snowdonia national park in a few weeks hoping for clear skies!

Stunning photo. It always makes me realise how minuscule the Earth is when I look at the Milky Way.

And why aren't you holding your fishing rod for the astro gnome look?
Cracking shot!
Love the image - its amazing quite how dark Anglesey is when you are fishing . I enjoyed some of your Welsh images too its amazing how may places I knew . Loved the South Stack light house pics too - Ive had some good Conger from down there in the past.
Thank you all for the kind comments :). Some incredibly dark skies in the right places in north wales and Anglesey. It's all about aligning the Milky Way to the direction of the dark skies. This time of year the Milky Way is in the extreme west direction which suites the west facing side of Anglesey and it's incredibly dark skies perfectly :). Had a few conger along that stretch @Overexposed but yet to have a go up the south stack way :)

Awesome shot, I'm over in snowdonia national park in a few weeks hoping for clear skies!
Thank you :). It's getting quite late in the year the Milky Way now as the brightest part starts to dip below the west horizon, but the sky is still full of beautiful bright stars and with a hint of moon light you can get some wonderful night landscape images :)

Thank you :). It's getting quite late in the year the Milky Way now as the brightest part starts to dip below the west horizon, but the sky is still full of beautiful bright stars and with a hint of moon light you can get some wonderful night landscape images :)

Fingers crossed the skies are clear :)That's a shame iv never been lucky enough to see the milky way with my own eyes. What's the best time of year to get out there and see it?

Fingers crossed the skies are clear :)That's a shame iv never been lucky enough to see the milky way with my own eyes. What's the best time of year to get out there and see it?
Late summer is the best time although you can see it all year round if you can find a dark sky location.

As Andy said. You can see it all year round but different parts of it are showing at different times of the year. I've found august, September to be the months I get the best results but you can still see it by eye and you will certainly catch it on camera still in October :)

Back