Milky Way

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for some help on when the best time of year to see the Milky Way.Hoping to take some pix from the Glencoe area.

Download and learn to use the photopills app. There is a specific bit for predicting the milky way and what direction it will be visible in. Theres also a good youtube video on how to use it (shot by photopills infront of a lighthouse in Majorca). Have a look for it.

I believe the milky way is visible all year round however around this time of year its fainter than summer. The brightest part is known as the galactic centre and is only visible to the UK from Sping to late autumn. My photopills app says the galactic centre starts to show itself to the UK again in late February in a south westerly direction.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I'm told it's best between about feb and aug, when I took my shots (around july) it was near enough south of me (wales) and bigger than I expected.

Download and learn to use the photopills app. There is a specific bit for predicting the milky way and what direction it will be visible in. Theres also a good youtube video on how to use it (shot by photopills infront of a lighthouse in Majorca). Have a look for it.

Thanks for the help, i have downloaded Photopills and had a look.Looks complicated bit will check Youtube to see what they have.Milky way will not be visible til after 24/02/19

It's visible all year round but is better from March to October when the galactic centre is visible at some point during the night. Downside the nights are shorter so you could be out at stupid o'clock.

In the far northern hemisphere such as north Scotland in June and July it does not get properly dark, you don’t get out of twilight. Not to say that you can’t get a Milky Way image but it will not be as vivid of the core as an image taken during full darkness. May or August will give you darker skies.

Try and shoot a week either side of the new moon to minimize the effect of the moon on your image.

The angle of the Milky Way also changes at a given time during the year, in May it will be more horizontal, in August more vertical, at sensible times of night.

Try Stellarium as a free app / pc download for a good representation of what it will look like at a location.

Get Stallarium, its an excellent program. It will show you the location of the milky way (as well as stars) and any time/date you wish, for any location.

It will also show you how light/dark it is, generally speaking, up north the months around the summer solstice (21st of June) are too light to photograph milky way. It will be located at the southern horizon, which doesn't make things easier.

Back