Milkyway over Wimbleball Lake, Exmoor

Great picture, although I wish Mike hadn't mentions the spot in the water, I keep gravitating to it now?

Geoff

Superb! This is a really vibrante milky way.

Could we get a bit more info? Is this a panoramic stitch? How do you get on with stiching picture with stars, I assumes the star moving will create issue when stiching?

Fabulous image, great colours and lovely clarity

Hi Guys!! Sorry for the late reply. I only really get on here once a week :confused: and I appreciate some people live on forums...I used to be one of them :banana:

Anyhoo, the EXIF is on the 500px image but have it here now:
Camera: Canon EOS 6D
Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length: 24mm
Shutter Speed: 25 s
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO/Film: 10000 (because you CAN with the 6D and 5D3)
Manfrotto Tripod

It's one exposure. No faffing around with stitching etc. The reason for so many stars is Exmoor is a designated International Darksky site - meaning it's supposed to be one of the darkest (accessible) places on earth. I'm pretty blessed to be under an hour from that location (at time of night anyhow...otherwise you can double the travel time as you'll get stuck behind trucks and daft caravans).

It was shot RAW and then processed in Lr and then tweaked more in Ps to bring out the dustlanes.

With a bit of trial and error I've found 25seconds to be the max I can expose with a full frame sensor before the earth's rotation starts to affect the shot and make the stars blurry (It's a bit of a spin out but yes, in 30 seconds the earth is actually spinning. It's easy to see if you set a low ISO, put the camera in to bulb and lock your exposure on with a trigger for a couple minutes - you'll get what's known as startrails - not really my bag but still pretty cool so try it if the heavens gets your juices flowing.

If you follow me on 500px I'll be upping more landscape and astrophotography work in full resolution as and when I do it. I've just bought a 35L so can't wait to get out and try some astro shots it at f/1.4 !

If you have any other questions just holla! :)

Great shot.

Also thanks for coming back with the details. I now know about the darksky map and that i live really really really close to one even in London!

Back