Milliepede

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Nice captures. That first one is a house centipede.

Oh right, i was told not to touch it as it has a little sting..thanks for ID, PS, it was a fast mover.

#1 is my fav, what a Good variety and I understand why you would spend most of the day shooting... :naughty: :runaway:

Smart looking beetle with the blue pinstripe.

Smart looking beetle with the blue pinstripe.

Thanks alby, next time i am there ill try to get another shot of one of these as i thought the same, really nice blue.

Number one looks like a mean bugger, glad you didn't touch and get stung! Nice variety :)

Looks like you enjoyed your day at the inlaws Graham ....... I suspect i'll have the same creatures in my garden if I look close enough....mindst you I've already seen a considerable variety inside my home let alone in the vegetation!!

As you say a little oof but good for a beginner into macro i would say and exposure is fine...... ...put it this way, i doubt i could capture better!

Keep at it matey and you'll master some cracking shots.(y)

Thanks asha. Lol @ you and the bugs in your home :D

Another great selection. That's the best thing about macro photography, you don't have to go far to find a variety of species. That gecko is great but i love both the beetles.

Does that centipede have a sting or is it a bite? Just want to make sure I grab it from the right end should i encounter one!

Another great selection. That's the best thing about macro photography, you don't have to go far to find a variety of species. That gecko is great but i love both the beetles.

Does that centipede have a sting or is it a bite? Just want to make sure I grab it from the right end should i encounter one!

I dont have a clue about bite/sting, its just what i was told.

Good set MrG 3/4 are my favs love the blue in the beetle! Love the reflection in the gecko too

@Asha can keep his bugs eek!

Sent from The Moon.....

Last edited:
I don't mind sharing and they all have passports:D....PM me your address and I'll get em sent priority "bugmail" to you:)

Haha ... Erm NO! I'm pretty sure they prefer there to here....although the kitten may like them :D

Sent from The Moon.....

Haha ... Erm NO! I'm pretty sure they prefer there to here....although the kitten may like them :D

Sent from The Moon.....

I've just spent 10 mins chatiing with em in the garden and they're all up for a holiday out of the sun!.........they're sick of having to smile and be photographed by "macro togs" like graham:D

Besides they like nothing more than to make girlies squeal with delight / horror when they scamper around :p:D:D

I've just spent 10 mins chatiing with em in the garden and they're all up for a holiday out of the sun!.........they're sick of having to smile and be photographed by "macro togs" like graham:D

Besides they like nothing more than to make girlies squeal with delight / horror when they scamper around :p:D:D

You know my daughter says I need medication when I talk to various things in the garden... Would make you just as nuts ... Yay! :banana: :D

Trust me there would be no delighted screaming if your little bugs came on holiday. Pure eek yes lol

Sent from The Moon.....

You know my daughter says I need medication when I talk to various things in the garden... Would make you just as nuts ... Yay! :banana: :D

Without the various garden things, TP and me puddy tats to keep me sane, I could easily go nuts! .......ah hold on i'm sure i've got an official certificate somewhere stating that i am!! :D

Without the various garden things, TP and me puddy tats to keep me sane, I could easily go nuts! .......ah hold on i'm sure i've got an official certificate somewhere stating that i am!! :D

You got a certificate? That's not fair :D

Sent from The Moon.....

To be totally honest those are all OOF/missed also you really also want to avoid cutting off part of the creature as in the first, ideally you'll always look to focus on the eyes, however I'm a firm believer that in cases where the creature is particular colourful or interesting such as a butterfly there is an argument for focusing there rather than the eyes...

What kind of setting were using for focus? Shutter speed etc, I'm wondering if maybe there is not some issue there that is contributing to the focus issues..

Another point I'd make is it would have been nice to see the critters in a more organic environment such as on a leaf etc, it just makes for an aesthetically more pleasing image, where as when taken on a plain style surface like the first couple they run the danger of looking like scientific samples

I pretty much concur with Matt - in my opinion the issue with focus is two fold

a) an insufficient depth of feild - you need to use a smaller apperture (which in turn will mean either a slower shutter (not ideal on moving subjects) or a higher iso ) ,

and b) where you've put the point of focus , this is most noticeable on the gecko and the beetle , where the middle of the back is sharp but the head and eyes arent - the rule of thumb for critters is pretty much the same as people - if you can't get the whole subject in the plane of focus, put the focus point on the head/face/eyes

Also the gecko would be stronger is it were facing you (difficult to acheive i know at the speed those things move) ... I'm not 100% in agreement with matt on the leaf issue, as the Gecko in particular looks quite good on the glass with the reflection.

#1 would have also benefitted from wider framing so the ends of the legs werent cut off.

It was a duplicated comment, would you like me to tidy?

nah its ok, i kinda like seeing the 2 little dots :ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO:

Actually if you spill some beer in the garden perhaps these bugs will get drunk, fall over and lie still so you can nail that focus! :p:D

Glad to see my dots put to use lol!! :D

Sent from The Moon.....

Im very careful with everything alcoholic, never like to spill it, prefer to get drunk than leave it to the critters lol

Im very careful with everything alcoholic, never like to spill it, prefer to get drunk than leave it to the critters lol

Demand stronger wine from the in laws .....tell em it's an essential part of being able to get decent shots:D

I actually quite like @Asha's suggestion.. Least then they won't be running to get me, or if they do it'll take then hours weaving and stumbling :D

Sent from The Moon.....

Back