Min tripod question

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I already have a mini tripod (Ulanzi Mt11), but when I put my Sigma macro lens on my 2000d the ball joint slips and will not hold the weight. So, I am after another one , I have been reading up about the Manfrotto Pixi Evo, unfortunately though, some people say it will hold this and not slip, but others state it is useless, can anyone suggest a good one that will hold this weight without shifting about?

Also, this may be a daft question, but are there tripods that are 2 in 1? A tripod that can become both a mini and full extended, perhaps with an attachable length? I have not seen such an item, but it makes sense to me

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers

Last edited:
I've had a moman mini tripod for a couple of years now, build quality is superb, aircraft grade aluminum, takes the weight of a Pentax 645 body plus a 150mm lens and extension tube with ease, folds flat to the ground so the camera is about 100 mm above ground, or on its legs roughly 200mm.

Its not cheap thou, about £28 for the tripod and another £28 for the ball head, its arca swiss, but imho well worth it,

:plus1: The Moman (or other badge-engineered brands) is probably the most popular tabletop tripod on TP.

The only tripod I know of that can be switched between tabletop and full length is from Novoflex but it's so inconvenient and so expensive that most people would rather have two separate items.

I have just looked the Moman tripod up and it spec for such a modest tripod is impressive.

The head they also sell has a 10kg load rating.......if that is a 'true' figure for the ball in any position that is more than enough for even quite heavy body/lens configurations. Just a pity it seems it is only in red colour!

Because the tripod can be set flat, its size looks like it would lend itself to being used in a "hide plate" role with a gimbal on it :)

Close to Christmas I will put it on my wish list......though Amazon have tripod on offer now at £21.58 down from £26.99....a no brained ~ perhaps???

Last edited:
cvKDBo7.jpg

or....

peY0VGJ.jpg

Hi Raymond

Thanks for those setup images :)

On the first one with the small ballhead, what make & model is that?

As for the for combo mounted on the larger manfrotto ballhead, that well illustrates that the 80kg load bearing of the tripod itself is never going to be "challenged" ;) NB provided, for balance purposes the combo CoG is over the centre of the tripod!

PS Can I ask you please to take a measurement for me?
With the legs fully splayed flat what is the max distance between the foot ends?
This is in regard to my thought that it can 'work as a hide plate'. They are normally large squares of (heavy) metal with a threaded spigot in the centre on which you would attached the gimbal or other tripod head of choice?

@chrism8

Hi Chris

I wonder if you could please measure the distance I mentioned in my post just above yours?

Hi Raymond

Thanks for those setup images :)

On the first one with the small ballhead, what make & model is that?

As for the for combo mounted on the larger manfrotto ballhead, that well illustrates that the 80kg load bearing of the tripod itself is never going to be "challenged" ;) NB provided, for balance purposes the combo CoG is over the centre of the tripod!

PS Can I ask you please to take a measurement for me?
With the legs fully splayed flat what is the max distance between the foot ends?
This is in regard to my thought that it can 'work as a hide plate'. They are normally large squares of (heavy) metal with a threaded spigot in the centre on which you would attached the gimbal or other tripod head of choice?

Sorry for the late reply, I guess you got the measurements, here is the head.

Mine has the pan head on the plate. It's excellent, fully metal.

I cannot empathises how Smoooooooooooth that ball head is, it is smoother than that massive manfrotto head which is like £200!

Always good to get an owner user testimonial :)

As mentioned my prime interest in whether the Momam pod might function like a Hide Plate when used with my Gimbal......................but in the case of @Meomyo having a good quality (with decent max load) will likely be of help :)

PS that is not to to say there would not be times when a solid small ballhead would not be usefull for me with a very low level tabletop tripod ;)

Always good to get an owner user testimonial :)

As mentioned my prime interest in whether the Momam pod might function like a Hide Plate when used with my Gimbal......................but in the case of @Meomyo having a good quality (with decent max load) will likely be of help :)

PS that is not to to say there would not be times when a solid small ballhead would not be usefull for me with a very low level tabletop tripod ;)

For its price, it's size, I think it is worth having it in the bag if you think you can use it. Might not be the £45 one but the cheaper one without the panning plate would be useful.

Raymond, have you used the koolehaoda for macro? There are reports that tension is a little sloppy in one slot over the other, have you noticed this?

Last edited:
I've recently bought a Zomei mini tripod which is massively better than the Manfrotto one I had before - thing is really well built and has a very solid ball head.

Here's an Amazon link to the Neewer version (which looks exactly the same) - the Zomei one I bought is out of stock but was a bit cheaper - I paid £29

I'd be happy putting a 1dx and 70-200 on it

Last edited:
Back