Mind shift R180 Panorama

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking for a smallish backpack for days out with the family. I currently have a FStop Ajna, which is great but a little large for walks with the dog, trips to the beach etc. I was originally looking at the Guru UL, but after reading a few other reviews I have discovered the Mindshift Panorama. What I like is the fact that you can spin the camera bit around whilst still leaving the bag in place. What I’m not sure of though is how much you can fit into it. My kit isn’t the largest as I have a mirrorless system, but it would still need to fit a couple of smallish lenses (largest is a Sigma 35mm Art) and maybe a TT350s flash.Does anybody have one and what are your thoughts?

I have the bigger Horizon and the concept works very well. Access to the camera is very smooth and fast, the side opening works well. My bag is the 'smallest' 30 litre bag I have ever owned, the base compartment takes a lot of space. But the space available for a camera is small and on the Horizon the camera section is slightly tapered making it smaller than it looks. Overall I am very happy with the bag for walking, fundamentally it is a comfortable easy to carry bag that allows very quick access to the camera.

I have the bigger Horizon and the concept works very well. Access to the camera is very smooth and fast, the side opening works well. My bag is the 'smallest' 30 litre bag I have ever owned, the base compartment takes a lot of space. But the space available for a camera is small and on the Horizon the camera section is slightly tapered making it smaller than it looks. Overall I am very happy with the bag for walking, fundamentally it is a comfortable easy to carry bag that allows very quick access to the camera.

Thanks Gareth, as long as I can fit a couple or 3 smallish lenses (fe55mm, 16-35mm f4 & fe85mm) thats all I need as I also have a couple of holsters which would fit on the webbing strap on the right hand belt

I tried one of the Rotation bags (the largest - can't remember the name.....) and for me one huge drawback was the lack of pockets to put minor items in. The upper section of the bag was completely bare inside and I couldn't see any way of storing cards, filters and other bits and bobs safely and in an easily accessible location. So I returned the bag to the retailer.

I have the original Guru. It is a very good bag, very well made, with lots of pockets, and carries a lot more kit than you'd expect. it's only drawback really for me is that it isn't a proper two-compartment bag. Small items in the top "section" tend to slip down the back, front and sides of the ICU.

By the way, there are some very bad reviews for alpinetrek, if you're thinking of buying from them........

In the end I went for the Panorama and first impressions are good. I’ll put up a review shortly explaining my thoughts asi struggles to find much about it prior to buying

Ive been using this bag for the last couple of days and thought I’d share my initial thoughts.

Pros:
Lightweight
Easy to access camera gear
Comfortable
Quality feel
Rail on waist belt for added pouches

Cons:
Upper compartment space
Not ideal for larger DSLR

Conclusion:
In my opinion this is a good bag for smaller mirrorless set-ups (which is what I have). I can fit an A7Rii with 16-35mm f4, FE55 & FE85 in the waist pack, there is also space for a small pocket for a tablet as well as a netted section for batteries, memory cards). WIth the exception of the side pocket for a water reservoir the only other external pocket is in the top of the bag. Space wise the main compartment isn’t huge. I wanted this as a day pack for when I go out with the family, round zoo’s etc. I can fit a flask and a lunchbox in the top section with a small lightweight water proof (the pocket size £4.99 anorak type things) in the main compartment and thats about it. Enough for what I need but I would want something bigger for longer treks or more serious walks (the type you need full waterproofs for). One of the things I like about this bag is how easy it is to access the camera. The magnet on the flap is easy to undo, all that is needed then is to rotate the hip belt around to the front. Previously I have had bags with rear access panels and always felt nervous as the bag didn’t feel overly secure when rotated round to the front.

In short would I recommend this bag? If you have a small set-up and are looking to travel light, then yes. For DSLR users, probably not, from my own experience you would fit a body with general purpose (24-70/24-105/16-55) along with one of the more inexpensive 70-300 lenses but that would be about your lot.

One caveat to this is that on the right hand hip belt there is a strap which allows a pouch to be attached (I have attached a Think Tank Skin Body Bag). You could add a holster for the camera and attached lens or a longer lens.

My current set-up now is 3 small lenses and body in the waist pack, Think Tank Skin pouch on hip belt with FE100-400 GM this will also fit the body when it attached in case of poor weather. I also have a Capture Clip on the shoulder strap for when the camera isn’t in use.

Back