Mini D800 review

woooohoooo one happy man here.... sooo glad i went with the D800, taken 25 test shots, wow and wow! this is a new ball game.

idigitize said:
woooohoooo one happy man here.... sooo glad i went with the D800, taken 25 test shots, wow and wow! this is a new ball game.

It is indeed pal. Definitely a game changer!

I tried some 14 bit RAW today. My new macro lens arrived, so no better test huh.

I don't know if they were much more detailed, they looked great, but I put that down to the lens. Which thankfully, is a good 'un. They took a little split second more each to clarify in LR4 though. I'd have to shoot identical shots 12 and 14 bit and compare side by side, 100% to notice any real difference I think. Hardly worth it then?

I was going to change my 85 1.8 to the 1.4G but it seems the new 85g is sharper at 1.8 than the 1.4 at 2.8! Cagey can u back this up as u recently. Bought it? What is your experience?

Sharper at 1.8 than the 1.4 is at 2.8 on the D800! I meant

I'll give it a good testing tomorrow. I've only taken a few shots of the kids so far with it tbh, weather has been cat here, ****ing rain and miserably dark even during the day. So any shots I've been doing last few days have been boring stuff in the house. Will try some natural light & combine with OCF tomorrow, see how sharp she is ;)But even from those playful shots I could see it was very crisp and sharp,as you'd expect.

Last edited:
I was going to change my 85 1.8 to the 1.4G but it seems the new 85g is sharper at 1.8 than the 1.4 at 2.8! Cagey can u back this up as u recently. Bought it? What is your experience?

Supposedly the 1.8G is, but you aren't buying a 1.4 to shoot at 2.8.

I wanted to have at least one 1.4 lens, I had looked at the 85 1.4G, but after seeing the new Sigma 35 1.4, I thought I could kill 2-in-one, kind of. Get the 35 1.4, and the 1.8G for less than the price of the 85 1.4 ;)

Well, it'll be great when I get a good copy back of the 35 ... hopefully

I'd get the old 1.4D. The optical performance is still stunning and the AF on decent bodies wipes the floor with the new G lenses, plus you save enough money to get the Sigma 35 as well :)

Back