Mini Festival @ Brands Hatch, Sunday 28th June 2015 - first time with a 500mm F4 - crash!

Name
Az
Edit My Images
No
Evening all. Thought I'd share this pic I captured on Sunday... it kind of highlights both the good and bad points of using long prime lens for motorsport! This was my first day using it so was getting to grips with the weight and pointing it in the right direction etc. No idea how I even managed to capture this moment, straight off the camera @ 1/320sec shutter speed! (driver was absolutely fine btw)

11538150_894037797334996_5985873639066020009_o.jpg

Obviously ideally I would of had the 300mm lens on or something more flexible so I could have reacted and framed it properly. Never mind huh. Still not decided whether to keep the 500 though... decisions decisions!

cheers
Az

Got on pretty well with it Neil! Worked well on the 70D but a bit better on the 1D4. Didn't try with a TC, the AF was quick but not as fast as my 300 2.8 II (didn't expect it to be). Took a bit of time to get it lined up with shooting, I kept chopping tops of cars off. Bit of a weird one but as the hood is much wider than my 300 I couldn't really use my left eye to see what was going on away from through the viewfinder - sounds weird but I keep my left eye open to see what's going on lol!

Lovely bit of glass, but for me a bit heavy and cumbersome trackside. I only weigh about 75kg myself so carrying over 10% of my body weight all day (other body and 70-200), esp when hot isn't exactly ideal. I can do it, but would just rather not. Maybe the MkII version is way to go... but its ££££ !! Wide open it's awesome, nothing can match it. Would be particularly ideal lens for bikes no doubt about it. The 150-600 Sigma is really getting my attention (for range), I really want to try it, but I can't see it coming that close to this prime, plus you don't have F4 to play with.

Here's a wide open shot, again straight out of the camera. With gravel flying everywhere it really shows how decent the AF is to lock on! (linked from my Facebook so may lose some quality)

10012789_894553553950087_2242128726046576170_o.jpg

There's a few more shots on my FB and also a gallery here if interested - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/28-06-2015-mini-festival-brands-hatch-photos/

cheers
Az

Certainly looks capable in the right hands, I do like the crash sequences on your site, but I can imagine its a beast to carry round all day.

Think you nailed it matey, I sympathise entirely re the weight all day (you have seen my new 'beastie' at nearly 4kg on it's own) may have a solution by next weekend which may be of interest - I will let you know if / how it works out.

Glad the driver of the first was okay and the second shot - love it!

.DAVID.

Cheers David. Yeh I think it's similarly sized/weighted to yours. It's ok really just a hassle when I have to go and do pits/podium type stuff as not easy to just throw over ya shoulder! Interesting... wonder if it's a Sigma 150-600 Sport? That's got me quite interested... but can't see to find many people sharing shots which test the AF (sport) !!!

Az, know a couple of guys that use the Sigma 150-600 Sport in anger with wildlife / birds in flight etc and have some truly outstanding results, I have no doubt at all that you would make it work for racing easily.

.DAVID.

Yeh I've seen lots of birding shots which have certainly caught my attention!! But also seem some comments about slightly slow AF. It always depends on people expectations, compared to a £100 70-300 it will seem amazing but I'm actually interested to see how it compares to a 300 and 500 prime. Obviously I don't expect it to match but I'm curious to know "how close" it can be and if the AF is anywhere near as fast/consistant. Of course you miss out on the nice 2.8 or F4 smoothness etc too... but you gain flexibility - something I always enjoyed with my old 100-400. Just wish there was some motorsport snappers using it out there who's opinion I could value. I think I will just get one for a few days and see how it goes, make my own opinions then :)

Back