minimoto racing

Edit My Images
Yes
Here is my first pic of my 19 year old son racing his minimoto. i have only got a pentax point and shoot digital camera. It was really difficult to get the shot as the shutter goes off ages afyer I press the button...

please let me have any advice/tips

thanks for looking

IMGP2287.jpg

Shutter lag is a real problem with that type of camera, so you've done very well in the circumstances.

You've managed to get the rider reasonably sharp and lots of nice background blur. You've also left plenty of room in front of the rider for him to 'ride into 'which is better than having him riding 'out of the frame'

Really good effort, but shutter lag is the last thing you want for this type of photography.

I've given the shot a quick sharpen for you...

IMGP2287-2.jpg

considering the camera i reckon thats pretty good, panning and getting things in frame with a compact are really hard with that lag on the shutter release, keep on practising and you will get it more frequently, there arent many compacts with short enough lag times unfortunately.

I used Paint Shop Pro, but any editing package has a variety of sharpening filters.

Whenever you reduce an image in size, which is pretty well always for posting on the web, it loses a little definition (sharpness) so will always need the sharpening tweaking.

Nice shot that - especially the sharpened version. Looks a bit tricky to ride when you're that tall

Looks like great fun without "too" much speed..:)

Great pic, especially considering the camera used. Sports shots like this are tricky even with top of the line SLRs as the the onus is on YOU to pan correctly. Well done.

I had a shot at this a couple of years back. A friend lent me his mini-moto for a race. I have got to say I thought it was hilarious but much harder than it looks. Well done to the lad!

:agree: shutter lag and all (hence why most of us have DSLR's)

What they said :)

Love the disproportionate rider/bike. fun shot!

Looks like great fun without "too" much speed..:)

yes - that's why we all do it (me and my 3 boys). It's the cheapest form of motorsport as well. The bikes get up to about 60mph, but when you fall off (and we fall off regularly) there is not too far to fall:LOL:

yes - that's why we all do it (me and my 3 boys). It's the cheapest form of motorsport as well. The bikes get up to about 60mph, but when you fall off (and we fall off regularly) there is not too far to fall:LOL:

Still wouldn't like to slide too far at 60mph :eek: Still, all we ever used to wear was t-shirt and jeans, and a jumper for protection :wacky:

Nice shot btw especially considering the camera (y)

Nice pics for the camera, DSLR really does help, but they are only as good as the user.

They do look fun, bit small on the small the side for me tho, i much prefer the feel of 60mph downhill on the pedal type, although lycra really dont give any protection at all.

Thanks for the comments guys.

which DSLR would you recommend for a beginner? Are there any second hand ones available that are any good?

Thanks for the comments guys.

which DSLR would you recommend for a beginner? Are there any second hand ones available that are any good?

this is a good question mate which one ?
but to be fair the 1st thing anyone will say is what is your budget...
lots of good second hand ones but again depends on budget
put up what your willing to spend and these folks will let you know what you can get and what will be good for you

hope this helps
dave(y)

:thinking:
to be honest mate you might be struggling there...
there is a few on flea bay 300d " canon" but you will need to buy lens's if your lucky you might get a decent lens but once you have a dslr its like a wife with a shoe fetish..:eek:
money will go on this and that then some more then more .. trust me you always need more kit:LOL:

:thinking:
to be honest mate you might be struggling there...
there is a few on flea bay 300d " canon" but you will need to buy lens's if your lucky you might get a decent lens but once you have a dslr its like a wife with a shoe fetish..:eek:
money will go on this and that then some more then more .. trust me you always need more kit:LOL:

Thats true, i started the year with a 350d and sigma 70-300mm.

Now look what i have :eek:

the 350d is pretty good, but id say the 400d would be a better one togo for if starting now, but id doubt there be many secondhand yet. the Sigma 70-300mm is a very good budget lens in that range.

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

I have an old Pentax MV with a couple of lenses. Can you use 35mm SLR lenses on a DSLR?

Thats true, i started the year with a 350d and sigma 70-300mm.

Now look what i have :eek:

the 350d is pretty good, but id say the 400d would be a better one togo for if starting now, but id doubt there be many secondhand yet. the Sigma 70-300mm is a very good budget lens in that range.

I have gone and bought a Canon 400D with 18:55 lens. I will try and get an adaptor for my pentax lens and/or save up for a decent AF zoom;)

nice one, looking forward to seeing your results from it :)

I have gone and bought a Canon 400D with 18:55 lens. I will try and get an adaptor for my pentax lens and/or save up for a decent AF zoom;)

:woot: nice one mate you are going to love it ..

can not wait to see some pics

dave(y)

Back