Minimum ceiling height for studio

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all i have been offered a room to use for a studio, the room is ok size wise its about 20ft x 25 ft its just the ceiling i'm not to sure about it's about 8 feet will this be ok, i know people dont get any more then this in their living rooms but as i will be charged for the hire i want to make sure. Wont be able to see the room until Friday but any help would be appreciated.

You can get by with that height - but it's far from ideal as it's going to be highly restrictive on shooting adults stood up

For causal use, it's fine - for hiring out... I think you and anyone hiring it will find it lacking quickly, and if so, they won't hire you again; otherwise, the footage is fine

DD

Cheers DD what do you recommend for a minimum height.

thanks gary

There are 2 issues here. The lack of height itself limits how far above your subjects you can place lights, when you want to. It also pretty much forces you to take all shots from eye level or above. Both of these restrictions place limits on creativity.

The other factor is unwanted light reflecting from the ceiling, unless you paint it black. Obviously, the closer the ceiling is to the lights and the subject, the worse the problem is.

My own studio ceiling is around 11' - that's enough, most of the time, but life was easier when I had a studio with a 30' ceiling...

30' Garry ??? Isn't that called... being OUTSIDE :LOL:

Aside from a Church then, nice if you can find an old one, I'd agree that 11' should be high enough. Assuming a big softbox/brolly to be about 2ft higher than the light, that still gives a light height about 3 ft above a normal 6fter stood up

Your next problem though is that no normal lighting kits come with supports big, strong & heavy enough to reach that high safely

Oh the expenses keep on coming

:D

DD

Back