Minolta Autocord CLA in the UK/EU

Edit My Images
No
My beloved Autocord is acting up. The film advancement is erratic and the focus helicoid is grittier and grittier.

I was hoping somebody could advise on talented technicians in the UK/EU who would be able to tackle this. I have dealt with Newton & Ellis before, does anyone know if they'd handle an Autocord?

Any other suggestions? Everyone on the web recommends a guy in the US, Karl Bryan. However I'm a bit reluctant to send the camera to the US what with all the customs/VAT concerns. Thanks!

Miles Whitehead fixed my Autocord. I sent him an email beforehand explaining the issue and he said it was ok to send it in. Very reasonable and didn't take too long.

Thank you both - didn't know Miles fixed TLRs too - good to know. He did an excellent job on my Olympus OM2n some 5 years ago. What kind of work did he do on your Autocords if I may ask.

Thank you both - didn't know Miles fixed TLRs too - good to know. He did an excellent job on my Olympus OM2n some 5 years ago. What kind of work did he do on your Autocords if I may ask.

Mine was to do with the shutter blades... they were damaged/not closing causing a light leak... like I said I did email him first and he gave me a quote before I sent it off.

Miles fixed my Autocord back in 2013 as well. I can't recall the exact details now, but it was an issue with the focusing lever mechanism. I've sent him a good few cameras over the last several years (e.g., Bronica SQ-A body, Bronica PS 80mm f/2.8 lens, Rollop TLR, Hasselblad 60mm f/3.5 lens, Hasselblad 2000, etc.) to address a variety of issues.

I've also dealt with Ian at Newton Ellis though for a Rolleiflex SL66E issue. The service took a bit longer than expected, but I think this was because he was very thorough; he seemed to really know his stuff.

Miles will I believe attempt most repairs and has in my experience done excellent work.
If he considers a repair not to be financially viable based on camera value and his fees then he will actually advise against continuing with the work although naturally if for example the kit holds emotional value to its owner then he will proceed with the necessary repair if requested.

Thank you all, just dropped Miles an email and I guess I'll take it from there.

Last edited:
Back