Minolta Lenses for Portraits and Street Photography

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Anyone have old Minolta lenses? Which ones do you like most and which are the best? I got a 50 1.7 and a 50 1.4 today. Not much chance to use them yet. Interested in your experiences

Thing i didnt like about my minolta 50mm 1.7 was the noisy screw driven af for street i would want something quieter.

A-mount?

I always found the 50mm 1.4 way too soft wide open, like grease was smudged on the front element. At the same apertures, the 50mm 1.7 was just as sharp and cheaper. If we're talking about APS-C A-mount. there's a few other options like the Sony 35mm 1.8 dt and the Sony 50mm 1.8 dt, I owned both and they're a lot better than any of the low end Minoltas. The 'good' Minolta lenses are usually expensive and rare to find in the UK.

the 28mm 2.8 is quite nice, atleast my copy, and the beercan

i love the feel of the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\ slanty grip lenses :)

As a previous owner of some of the very best Minolta lenses I feel qualified to comment. I only sold them as the little blue square was tempting me that bit too much and flare resistance was much better.

Anyway. Best?

Probably the 600mm F4 prime, the 200mm 2.8 prime, the 200mm f4 macro, the 'F2' triplets, not even to mention the 85 1.4 limited edition which has to be the rarest production lens ever.

Best and affordable?

50mm 2.8 macro.
135 2.8 pocket rocket
35-105 original (mk1) zoom

All above 3 are very affordable and fantastically sharp.

I find the 35-70/3.5 Macro to be a very capable lens and a useful range of focal lengths. Very affordable, as is the companion 70-210/4.

The Minolta 85/1.4 is my favourite lens ever. I had four at one point or another, each one excellent. I've owned Canon's 85/1.2 and Fuji's 85/1.4, plus I've used a Nikon 85/1.4 and would rate the Minolta lenses higher.

Another fan of the 85 f/1.4 here - a great lens.

35-70 f/4 is ridiculously cheap for how good it is, but suffers when compared with the versatility of a modern 24-70 f/2.8 (on FF) or 16-50 f/2.8 (APS-C).

I'd love to get hold of a 200 f/4 macro, as I've read great things about them, and seen stunning images from them, but cannot justify the cost!

Regrettably just sold my minolta af f1.4 85mm only on friday and im gutted and i let it go too cheap :(

Regrettably just sold my minolta af f1.4 85mm only on friday and im gutted and i let it go too cheap :(
I sold mine too for cheap :(

I said I'd never sell it, it's been replaced with the Sony ZA 85 1.4 which is sharper but doesn't have as nice colour or bokeh.

35-70 F4 macro

No.. the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro.. the one Leitz liked so much they also sold it for their Leica SLR..

I have the lens in my hand, I know what-of I speak.. ;)

I was not referring to the later AF version which is f/4.

No.. the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro.. the one Leitz liked so much they also sold it for their Leica SLR..

I have the lens in my hand, I know what-of I speak.. ;)

I was not referring to the later AF version which is f/4.
Fair enough, I too was referring to af lenses like the op.

hi I have several 100mm 2.8 macro great lens, 80-200mm 2.8 g lens almost as good as my 70-200 sony g lens although Minolta colours are better I think ,and lastly 300mm g lens awesome lens 2.8 again great with 1.4 and 2x converters, I am looking to add more lenses on the shorter end

Back