Minolta Owner's Thread

also there is a for sale section on the Dyxum website (although I've not used this yet).

While I don't use my 7000i any more, I use dyxum a lot, quite a few of my lenses have come from there and it's where I sell. Not much love for alpha mount in the TP sales section.

:LOL: Just don't drop the 7 eh?

You'll need to with all that plastic... and the bubblewrap should help keep the water out too :D

You'll need to with all that plastic... and the bubblewrap should help keep the water out too :D

I'm sure I can keep it safe with a little common sense, it's worth it for the extra features which I use all the time. Just couldn't take the step down in usability for the Dynax 9.

Yeah. It's great to talk to an expert about these things...

Nothing at all, like I said - it's nice to talk to someone that knows so much about Minoltas.

Oh, okay. Thanks! When I learn about something I like to really get into the details, especially when I'm investing money in it. Took more time than I like to admit to settle on the Minolta set up I currently use, but I really believe it was worth it.

<dumb question> what feature(s) does the 7 have the 9 doesn't? <dumb question>

A lot of stuff which springs from it having an LCD screen on the back which the 9 doesn't. For example, the honeycomb exposure display which tells you which areas of your shot are under/overexposed, and full explanations of all custom functions (of which there are many...). It also has a faster wireless flash sync, is much lighter, and comes with full 'D' lens/flash functionality (used to determine and then adjust for the actual distance to subject, also allowing you to see depth of field information).

The fullest description of the 7 I can find is here if you're interested.

EDIT: I have also heard faster AF, but I couldn't say for sure as I haven't handled a 9 for more than a few minutes at a time.

Last edited:
Why not have the best of both worlds with prices being as they are... Dynax 7 & 9 :)

P1010486.jpg

My Dynax 9 arrived in the post today and have been re-discovering what a really lovely camera it is. I had one years ago and have very much missed it. I never owned a 7 at the time but a couple of months ago picked up a lovely 7 Limited.

I've just done a bit of a comparison between the 7 & 9 on AF speed just out of curiosity based on the above post.

The 9 is definitely king of AF speed, it is snappier and quicker to re-focus on continuous AF than the 7. It seems to just zip into focus that bit quicker.

This may of course vary between lenses but for the test I used my 85mm F1.4 which is a big lump of glass in anyones book! The 9 is definitely better with this lens.

The best overall comparison I can make is that the 7 is more like a precision instrument with all the bells and whistles. The 9 is built like a tank and will take pictures in any conditions whatever you throw at it... or drop it on!!

Why not have the best of both worlds with prices being as they are... Dynax 7 & 9 :)

The best overall comparison I can make is that the 7 is more like a precision instrument with all the bells and whistles. The 9 is built like a tank and will take pictures in any conditions whatever you throw at it... or drop it on!!

A very useful summary, cheers for that! Interesting that you can vouch for the 9's faster AF, that contradicts what I have heard but there's no arguing with hard experience.

Also, that is a very nice Limited you have there, and I think I remember the price you got it at was very reasonable indeed!

A very useful summary, cheers for that! Interesting that you can vouch for the 9's faster AF, that contradicts what I have heard but there's no arguing with hard experience.

Also, that is a very nice Limited you have there, and I think I remember the price you got it at was very reasonable indeed!

It was hardly a scientific test but in moving both camera's around in the same way with the same lens the 9 was that bit quicker and it seemed to detect the change in distance between camera and subject a little faster on continuous af than the 7.

I've never used the honeycomb exposure display. I ought to read the manual again. I got it then stuck it on auto as usual as there were so many buttons and things. Scrambled my brain a bit!

It's such a shame no-one ever did a digital back for these cameras as they'd be perfect. If I knew anything about electronics I'd make me own for it!

I've never used the honeycomb exposure display. I ought to read the manual again. I got it then stuck it on auto as usual as there were so many buttons and things. Scrambled my brain a bit!

It's such a shame no-one ever did a digital back for these cameras as they'd be perfect. If I knew anything about electronics I'd make me own for it!

There was of course the Dynax 7D (of which I should have one arriving in the post tomorrow :LOL:) which is pretty much a Dynax 7 but digital :love:

True. It's only 6mp though which is a shame. Don't think anyone does an upgrade path for it so you could use a later and higher quality sensor do they?

No not really, it was only after the 7D that Sony took over the camera side of Minolta's operation.

6m pixels dont bother me really. I was quite happy for several years up until last year using a Canon 1D MKI which was 'only' 4.2 million pixels. The only reason I upgraded to a 1D MKIII was for better ISO performance. Believe it or not I was able to print up at A3 and still retain excellent quality from only 4.2 million pixels. Its all down to the sensor and how it handles the image.

I'd be interested to see what kind of pics the dynax 7d takes and how it compares to the sony slrs. Seen a 7d for £250. Same price I paid for the 35mm a few years ago...

I'd be interested to see what kind of pics the dynax 7d takes and how it compares to the sony slrs. Seen a 7d for £250. Same price I paid for the 35mm a few years ago...

You can get them for less than that, I just paid £200 for a mint boxed one with matching 28-100 zoom lens and a case!! Should be arriving in the post in the next day or two. From what I've seen on the Dyxum forum they are good quality and I got that impression at the time when it was launched at Focus on Imaging at the NEC. I think that was the same year I bought my 1D MKI !!

Yeah - £200 is a better price - but even £250 is worth it when you consider just the internal anti-shake, for canikon you have to buy the system every time you buy a lens...

Mind you, good luck on finding a VC-7D!

You can get the grips fairly easily from Germany if you want to pay through the nose. They seem to ask silly money for grips for the 7, 9 and 7D, over £200 a pop!!

They do come up regularly on the Bay though for decent money. Last couple of 9 Grips sold for between £65-70 and the standard 7 for about the same or slightly less. A few weeks ago there were a few 7D grips on there but at the moment the only ones I can find are in Europe.

I was following 7 grips on eBay for a while, last I saw went for £60, pretty reasonable I thought. I got mine from a lovely chap on Flickr for £50 shipped from the US. You really do have to hunt for a good price...

Saw one on KEH for $180 + $20 shipping!

Plenty of VC-7, just the VC-7D is a toughie... not that anyone in here wants one, oh no, none of that in here :LOL:

Got my first Dynax 7 for £100 in near mint condition on eBay, but £150 with a decent guarantee/refund policy seems like a good deal. It's a whole lotta camera for the price.

Back