Mint Beetle & others ?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Some more from the Garden - C&C always welcome.

All taken with the MP-e & MT-24EX on a 50D

1- I think this is a mint Beetle.

mint_beetle.jpg

2 - Shield bug up close and personal - had trouble controlling the flash with this one.

shieldbug.jpg

3 - this could be a baby woodlouse it was about the same size as a ant :shrug:

whitelice.jpg

Last edited:
#3 is my favourite, I can sit and look at macro's for ages.

What lens/flash are you using?

Great shots with lots of detail. I love the colours you've caught on the beetle.:clap:

Nice set (y)
That sheild bug is CLOSE!
And I would also say thats a young woodlouse as well

What a beautiful beetle, superb detail on all the shots (y)

Nice work :) Been playing about with the flash positions to get the backlit leaf in the first? Cracking woodlouse shot...the wee ones are far prettier than the big ones :LOL:

How do you mean struggling to control the flash? Shiny subject with too many highlights? A couple of ways to control that is with diffusers and/or if you're feeling really brave cross-polarised flash.....you can use them to control the intensity of the highlights. (I tend to just use the ringflash if I want a more diffuse light than you get off the twin flash...am lazy!)

When ever i see a macro thread started by you i know even befor opening the pictures are going to be amazing and this is no exception.

stunning detail and great composition, so jelous of your set up.
Wanna let me borrow it for a few days :)

Unfortunately i get withdrawal symptoms if i don't use it a least once a day ;)

Real good set Paul as per usual.

Thanks Albi - new lens ordered for MK3 water dropper :D

Wow that shield bug is a sweet shot, Swine :D
Keep 'em coming Paul its a pleasure to see your work (y)

Thanks Dave (y)

Nice work :) Been playing about with the flash positions to get the backlit leaf in the first? Cracking woodlouse shot...the wee ones are far prettier than the big ones :LOL:

How do you mean struggling to control the flash? Shiny subject with too many highlights? A couple of ways to control that is with diffusers and/or if you're feeling really brave cross-polarised flash.....you can use them to control the intensity of the highlights. (I tend to just use the ringflash if I want a more diffuse light than you get off the twin flash...am lazy!)

Its the blown highlights on some of the shots - i'm currently using some modified fong copy puffers to diffuse the flash but i think i still need to soften it more.

Back