Mirror lenses?

Name
jamie unwin
Edit My Images
No
Hi
I am thinking about mirror lenses not sure which make yet, but they seem to be cheaper than a normal lens. I was wondering if anyone new a bit more about them? What is the image quality like? etc...

Jamie, in a word, you get what you pay for. I had one years ago and used it once, the quality was dire. Whether things have improved or not, I don't know, perhaps try one out before you decide?
George

Oh yes, I tried that too. Best doorstop I ever bought lol.

OK so it was a long time ago and it was Russian but as George says, do your homework and try it out first.

Jamie, just had a quick look at your profile and I assume you are fairly new to photography. I hope you find us helpful on the forum, and don't feel that you can't ask any questions, we're generally a helpful bunch. If you want some good value for money equipment, keep an eye on the for sale site on the forum.

What camera do you want to put it on Jamie? let's see if we can't help a bit more :)

I don't have any knowledge of the Sony range, did you see the mirror lens on the internet, or in a shop? I think Ali and I would agree that a mirror lens is not really a serious contender in the lens stakes, you'd be much better getting a Sigma or some equivalent 3rd party lenses, if you tell us the focal length of the lenses you have, together with what type of photography you are interested in, perhaps we can give you some help.

i already have a sigma 70-300mm apo lens and an sigma 18-125mm. And i am very intrested in wildlife photography! but want a lens with just a bit more reach!

well, to get more than 300mm you are starting to get in to some pretty serious dosh, and I really don't think a mirror lens will give you the results. From memory, mine was about f11 as well, which was quite restrictive. Sorry to be a bit negative, if you live anywhere near Birmingham, I'd suggest a visit to the exhibition at the end of February in the NEC where you can see a lot of equipment, just google it and you'll find the info.

Sorry, the exhibition is called "Focus".

Even the best mirror lenses will - to put it politely - suck donkey balls. Not good, they taste horrid.

I don't recommend sucking donkey balls. Or buying mirror lenses.

Hi Jamie, it may be worth looking at a teleconverter for your 70-300mm. A 1.4 should do it, you'll lose one f-stop but it'll then give you a reach of around 420mm. If you get a good quality one, image quality shouldnt suffer too much.

HTH

Gary

Jamie ,
I have a brand new Kenko Pro 300 DG TC 1.4 Sony fit that is currently for sale over on avforums if you are interested .

Hi Jamie, Like you my passion is wildlife photography, for me and my current budget I tend to use a 300mm and a 1.4 kenko pro converter. Not sure what your situation is but you can also enjoy wildlife photography close up in your garden, a shed can make a great bird hide, get some feeders up close by and some small branches for natural looking perches.
Like the other people have said, save your money towards a better alternative.

Dean

www.camerabeanbags.co.uk

is a kenko 2x teleconverter any good? and how much do either a 1.4x or 2x cost?

With the 2x TC, you lose 2 F-stops which unless the lens is a f/2.8 may lose auto focus although I have heard mention of a way to tape the pins to get round this. I havent used one or tried it so aprt from that, I'm of very little help :shrug:

Back