Mirrorless camera and lens options

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and consider myself a hobbyist when it comes photogrpahy.

I’m looking to buy a new camera soon and currently eyeing the Olympus OMD EM10 Mark iii due to the more compact nature of this type of camera and that you can transfer photos straight to a phone or tablet (I have an incredibly slow PC that I refuse to use).

I have an old Nikon D60 which I think I will part-ex for the Mark iii. I’m pretty settled on the camera, unless anyone has any better suggestions, but the lens is where I’m a little stuck as I’ve read some unflattering things about the 14-42mm pancake kit lens and am wondering whether I should go body only and buy a different lens to start off with? I just don’t know which one...

I like the idea of variable focal length as I plan to use it for family photos and landscapes as well taking photos of my main hobby, watches. What do you reckon?

If you can afford it, the 12-100mm f4 might be the only one you need.

If you can afford it, the 12-100mm f4 might be the only one you need.
Thanks Snapsn0t but seeing as that's around a £1000 it's definitely a no go for me.

As mentioned I'm more of a casual photographer and want to keep it affordable.

However looking into what you recommended I stumbled across the 12-50 3.5-6.3 which appears to have good reviews. I need to search for some examples photos using this lens as this could be a good option at around £250.

As long as you don't expect shallow depth of field the 14-42mm pancake lens is very good imo, plenty sharp enough, especially stopped down. You could pick up a used 40-150mm f4-5.6 R for under £100 and that would cover most bases. The 40-150mm is surprisingly good, unlike the build would have you think.

Not a zoom but I rarely take the Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4 off of my GX80, its a blooming awesome compact 50mm equiv lens.. speed, colours, contrast & sharpness are superb.
Thanks for the recommendation. I definitely want to pick up a couple of prime lenses at some point and this seems like a good contender.

As long as you don't expect shallow depth of field the 14-42mm pancake lens is very good imo, plenty sharp enough, especially stopped down. You could pick up a used 40-150mm f4-5.6 R for under £100 and that would cover most bases. The 40-150mm is surprisingly good, unlike the build would have you think.
Thanks snerkler. Maybe the pancake would be a good multi tasker lens to start off with.

I think I'll have to have a play with one when im next lassing my local canera ship. It's also nice affordable option to start with.

I've got a Nikon 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens for my old D60. Would this work with a Olympus/Nikon adapter? I'm not sure how a traditionallens would work with a mirrorless camera.

I've got a Nikon 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens for my old D60. Would this work with a Olympus/Nikon adapter? I'm not sure how a traditionallens would work with a mirrorless camera.
I'm not sure you can get Nikon adapters for m4/3. I believe you can get Canon but not Nikon, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure you can get Nikon adapters for m4/3. I believe you can get Canon but not Nikon, but I could be wrong.

You can: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AI-Micro-A...8&qid=1519494287&sr=8-1&keywords=Nikon+to+m43 This one is good for older Nikon lenses that have an aperture ring

For G type lenses [no aperture ring] you'd need one like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Micro-Thirds-Concept®-Adapter/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519494287&sr=8-2&keywords=Nikon+to+m43

Thanks for the replys. Its good to know that I can keep my nifty fifty. It could be a good companion to the pancake lens and cover most of my needs for a good while until I invest in a couple of other primes later on.

Last edited:
Do you think that would work with my Sigma 105mm macro Nikon mount?

Definitely, the last lens I had left over from my FF days was the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro OS, and I used it on the Fuji X-T1. Of course I didn't get the benefit of the OS for that, but you will with your Olympus body. The 150mm I had didn't have an aperture ring, it was G-Type, so I got the K&F adapter with the aperture control. It wasn't perfect, you had to kind of guess where the aperture was at, but you had a good idea, the adapter had 6 click/stops - it worked quite well. IQ was perfect

Shot these with the Sigma 150mm on the Fuji X-T1:

Robin by K G, on Flickr
November dew by K G, on Flickr

I wish I had held onto it tbh, there was a fault with the OS and I ended up selling it at a massively reduced price., but I wish I still had it now for M43, a 300mm equiv macro would be amazing, and I only ever do macro with MF anyway. One huge con was it weighed 1.2KG

Last edited:
Back