Mirrorless Camera/Lens Options

Edit My Images
Yes
Currently using a Canon M5 with an EFS 18-135 Nano, have a couple of M lenses as well (15-45 + 18-55). I mainly take photos of my dog zooming about in woods etc when we're out and would like something in the region of £1k that has better tracking AF than the M5. Would really like to stay mirrorless due to size and no back/front focus issues. Any suggestions welcome.

Sony RX100 vii has the real-time tracking plus animal eye af. Looks very compact yet still has a decent zoom (24-200mm eqiv.) and is less than £1,000. It is only a 1" sensor though.

Thanks for the reply, i did have an rx10iv a while ago but had to move it on due to cash flow at the time, it was a good camera but ultimately im enjoying a bigger sensor/being able to swap lenses. One option i have been looking at is the Canon RP + 24-105 RF lens which is just over £1k but not sure how much better the AF is on that (id assume much better than my M5)

Why not look at the Olympus thread on here ,see what they really can do

Sony Mirrorless - with a Sony 100-400mm head and shoulders above all the others :)

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, I've been nosying through a few of the threads, I'll be honest I'd love a Fuji XT4 but that's out my price range, I'm also very conscious of cost of lenses (I know you get what you pay for and I'd love some nice lenses again). The EM1 MK2 onwards does appeal to me but need to do some more reading on it again and whether I want to go to m4/3 or stay with crop or go FF. Lots to think about.

Morning, I've been nosying through a few of the threads, I'll be honest I'd love a Fuji XT4 but that's out my price range, I'm also very conscious of cost of lenses (I know you get what you pay for and I'd love some nice lenses again). The EM1 MK2 onwards does appeal to me but need to do some more reading on it again and whether I want to go to m4/3 or stay with crop or go FF. Lots to think about.

Best forget the Sony a7Riv and 100-400mm then lol :LOL::LOL::LOL::sony:

Les

If you are willing to swap and sell/trade your canon Eos M stuff then something like Sony a6100 with Sony 18-135mm could be a good replacement. Sounds like you don't need much more reach than that or you are happy with the amount of each you have at the moment. If you fancy more reach you can later add a tamron 70-300mm which is cheap and decent or Sony 70-350mm if you have a bigger budget.

Also if you need more light i.e. faster lens tamron has recently announced a 17-70mm f2.8 which looks rather nice.

From dpreview:
"Generally we've been very impressed with the a6100's autofocus: point it at something, hold the shutter at half-press, and it'll just follow the subject. If they're human it'll continue to follow them, even if they face away from the camera. It doesn't absolutely guarantee that every photo is in focus, but it's immediately recognizable as better than any camera we've used before, certainly at this price. This simplicity is at the heart of what we think makes the camera so good."

sounds like what you are after...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, i did have an rx10iv a while ago but had to move it on due to cash flow at the time, it was a good camera but ultimately im enjoying a bigger sensor/being able to swap lenses. One option i have been looking at is the Canon RP + 24-105 RF lens which is just over £1k but not sure how much better the AF is on that (id assume much better than my M5)

The 1" sensor is certainly one of the elements which I saw as a negative, although purely down to my requirements. If I were travelling a lot I think it would be an excellent camera due to the size.

I've been doing a lot of research recently on a variety of cameras with autofocus speed being my top priority and I keep coming back to Sony mirrorless. Almost always fast and accurate and the latest real-time af is crazy good from what I've seen. Even Canon's dual pixel autofocus didn't seem as impressive as I was expecting (although still good).

I have always fancied a Sony and as mentioned in a reply further up I suppose if money was no object it would be a top end a or ar model! They have that many models I think I stopped looking at them, but as you say there AF speed and tracking is epic!

I have always fancied a Sony and as mentioned in a reply further up I suppose if money was no object it would be a top end a or ar model! They have that many models I think I stopped looking at them, but as you say there AF speed and tracking is epic!
hence i have given you the model you should be looking at :ROFLMAO:
but i agree the naming schemes and models on Sony in nothing short of crazy. if i was looking at them for the first time think I'd just give up since it'd hurt my brains :p

RP is very good at tracking AF - I got some great shots of peregrines with it. However, its not brilliant, it has an annoying freeze for a second after taking a shot in continuous shot mode. Livable though!

Thought I'd update this and thanks for the advise, a nice a6400 + 18-135 arrived today. Had a quick play tonight out with the dog, lots to learn but seriously impressed so far.

Back