Mirrorless for motorsport?

Edit My Images
No
Holy login resurrection Batman! I found my way to this forum by googling something completely different and on attempting to create an account, found I had already created one sometime ago!

Anyway - to the topic in hand - I'm currently using an aged Canon 5D Mk1 which I have been entirely happy with for years, but I've decided it's time to upgrade to get more mega-pickles and improved AF etc.

I'm in a quandry between just upgrading to the 5D mkIV or whether to jump into mirrorless. I've heard that mirrorless cameras have traditionally been a little sluggish for action photography, so would like to know if anybody is currently using a Canon R5/R6 for motorsport, and their thoughts on how it performs compared to a traditional optical view finder? Has this problem been blown out of all proportion or is it a constant frustration? The answer of course is just to go and buy a R3, but there might be a cheaper answer ;)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

The difference in camera between the 5d I and the R5/6 will be night and day.

If you're considering spending that sort of money, you'd be crazy to consider the 5D IV imo. The AF performance on both the R5/6 is excellent and I would be surprised if you were disappointed.
I believe canon is doing their test drive programme atm, get one for the weekend and see how you get along with it. I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it

Thanks - I'm sure the AF etc is much better, but it's the EVF vs OVF that I'm worried about for motorsports.

Took me a few tries to get used to it on my R5, but in essence in terms of the screen going off when you take a shot its no different to the mirror going up.

In terms of EVF performance, I've set mine to FPS mode (ie the most power consuming and quickest) and I've had no problems.

Only point to note, I've noticed burst shooting is the best method on the R5. I was never really a burst shooter before but I find the cars easier to track with a burst on the R5. Not exactly sure why.

Attached photos shot Saturday at the Rallynuts stage rally in Myherin. Eos R5 all with EF lenses and adapter. 16-25 2.8, 70-200 f4 or 300 f4l +/- 1.4 extender

Attachments

• 5G4A8387.jpg
    5G4A8387.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 5G4A8496.jpg
    5G4A8496.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 5G4A8805-Edit-2.jpg
    5G4A8805-Edit-2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 5G4A9496.jpg
    5G4A9496.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 23
  • 5G4A9762.jpg
    5G4A9762.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 24
I was at Goodwood for the member's meeting last weekend and a lot of photographers were using mirrorless (even the accredited togs with the white vests who walked into everyone else's photos), mostly Sony and Nikon Z.

If you are upgrading from a 5D then R5 or R6 is the next logical step, the 5D4 is a great camera but heaven forgive me mirrorless is the next step.

I use a mix of cameras for motorsport one of which is an Olympus OMD 5 mirrorless and find it is fine for motrosport.

There are many mirrorless machines I see around the track made by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji, they are perfectly fine for motrosport :)

PS I also use a 21 year old DSLR as well and that works fine :)

I was at Goodwood for the member's meeting last weekend and a lot of photographers were using mirrorless (even the accredited togs with the white vests who walked into everyone else's photos), mostly Sony and Nikon Z.

If you are upgrading from a 5D then R5 or R6 is the next logical step, the 5D4 is a great camera but heaven forgive me mirrorless is the next step.

I hope that wasn't me!!

To OP, i've just switched from the 5d3 to a R5 (having previously used the 5Dc) - Have only done one event with the R5, this weekend just gone, but first impressions were very positive. AF performance is very very good indeed, and though the EVF and config are unfamiliar, they didn't cause any problems, other than being a little slower reacting to quick changing situations, due to being new to the camera. I think any speculation about there being issues using these for motorsport are mostly unfounded. Overwhelmingly positive first experience with the R5, and as I grow more familiar with the layout, I think it will be a very solid option for the next few years for me. To jump from the 5dc, I'd imagine that you'd be mindblown in the advancements in AF and IQ

I use a mix of cameras for motorsport one of which is an Olympus OMD 5 mirrorless and find it is fine for motrosport.

There are many mirrorless machines I see around the track made by Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji, they are perfectly fine for motrosport :)

PS I also use a 21 year old DSLR as well and that works fine :)

I saw some old film cameras as well over the past 2 days. Including a Pentax 6x7!!

How do you go about being a 'white vest'? may I ask. But then again I would think that limits your 'freedom' to just stop for a beer and ice cream...
No beer or ice cream for me all weekend. Lots of free cold water though!
I work for a publication, so my media access comes through from the exposure that the publication gives to the event.

I took my Sony A6600 to a motorsports event and left my Canon 5D4 at home. I was not disappointed the focus is fast and tracks. I am sure the Canon R5/6 would be fine but too big and heavy for me now. I caught all the crashes but my colleague who was using a FF Sony ML missed two of them due to not maneuvering his heavy kit quickly enough. He is ten years younger than me so his reactions should be quicker than mine.

Dave

Not sure if your still looking / thinking about it - I have recently bought the R3, used first with the rf/ef converter and my trusty 70-200 2.8 (I would actually say better than on my 1DXmkII) and a week later used it in 'anger' with the rf 100-500 - once I had turned everything down to save as much power as possible - I need to shoot trackside approx. 8-10 hours a day - I am very VERY happy with the results.

.DAVID.

examples here:
Race day

Drag Racing

Total change of direction (nothing special at all - just a day out stretching the legs) with the ef 100 macro Gardens

David, thanks, it's good to get some thoughts/example images from people who use the kit. My next decision point is R3 vs R5... Who am I kidding? Man-maths will kick in and I'll go straight to R3 :)

I've gone from D5/D850 to my Z9 and the rate of keeper shots is far higher with my Z9. The focusing system is superb, not perfect and lots of modes to try but as the Canon systems are equally as good you will not be disappointed with the R5 R6 and definitely not the R3. I was thinking of jumping ship to Canon but had lots of money invested in my Nikon glass. Luckily the Z9 was announced so I pre-ordered one and so saved myself a few quid by keeping the best glass and thoroughly enjoy the Z9.

Back