Beginner Mirrorless or dlsr?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning on buying a camera. Not sure which one to go for.

Either the Samsung NX30 (mirrorless) or Cannon eos 700D or Nikon D5300?

I am not a professional. Just looking for a camera for my traveling. Can you guys help me?

I tried a Sammy NX30 at a photography show last year, and it handled well & focused quickly & accurately. Not tried the other two.

Why did you select these 3 particularly?

Portability criteria (size and weight). Viewfinder preference. Dynamic range. Lens options. And a thousand other things. Thrash out a shortlist of what you see as priority essentials, and then see what cameras fulfil it. If you don't know what you want, nobody else can tell you.

Portability criteria (size and weight). Viewfinder preference. Dynamic range. Lens options. And a thousand other things. Thrash out a shortlist of what you see as priority essentials, and then see what cameras fulfil it. If you don't know what you want, nobody else can tell you.

That's kinda the problem. I lack technical knowledge to know my preferences in terms of which camera to get

What kinds of pictures do you take when you travel? Wide angle shots, close-ups, pictures of people, telephoto shots of distant objects? What will you do with the pictures afterward? Do you normally use a camera with manual control or on automatic?

What kinds of pictures do you take when you travel? Wide angle shots, close-ups, pictures of people, telephoto shots of distant objects? What will you do with the pictures afterward? Do you normally use a camera with manual control or on automatic?

Mostly static images like landscapes and buildings. I haven't learnt post processing just yet but I hope to once I get the camera.
Video is really important too. It's in the top of my priority.

Mostly static images like landscapes and buildings. I haven't learnt post processing just yet but I hope to once I get the camera.

All of the cameras you mentioned will do this stuff very well indeed but if I shot just those subjects, I'd be going mirrorless of some description and travel nice and light. I don't know much about the Samsung you mention though I'm afraid.

The important thing is to really handle not only the cameras you have selected by looking at technical specifications, but others as well. You will find that the way a camera feels to you and how comfortably it sits in your hands is far more important in enjoying your photography than most realise. I made the mistake of buying my first digital camera during an in store camera day, I already had one of their film cameras and loved it, but within a couple of weeks I realised that it's shape just didn't feel comfortable and I found the viewfinder difficult to use.

I mirrorless seems the obvious choice for travelling.

If the d5300 has the same layout as my d5100 it gets a bit annoying the lack of control dials.

I also have a Samsung nx10 which is old and slow and doesn't perform half as well as the d5100 yet i prefer it, so its not all about performance and figures. With the awesome 30m pancake lens its a nice compact setup.

You should also look at sony e-mounts like the a6000 and Fuji x range.

Last edited:
You should also look at sony e-mounts like the a6000 and Fuji x range.

OP put video high on his list and Fuji are reputed to be pretty poor in that area, never tried it on mine so only going by popular opinion

What do you do with the images?

I ask because a good superzoom compact or bridge camera might offer everything you wanted in a simple and easy to use package. If you plan to enlarge above 12"X 8" then it's not really good enough, but if what you want is a way of keeping memories and to post to the web than a compact would be ideal.

If you do want something with interchangeable lenses and a larger sensor then have a look at the Fuji X series, Olympus PEN E-PL micro 4/3 cameras and Nikon 1 cameras. Also have a look at the Sony RX100 series cameras, which have a larger sensor and high quality Zeiss zoom lens.

Last edited:
If video is critical, then that would probably put the Panasonic GH series as the leading contender.

Yes I'm looking at the a6000 now. It looks like an awesome option.
My budget range is around $800 (aud).

The only problem i have is, is there any significant differences between dslr and mirrorless? Say nikon d5300 vs sony a6000

Yes I'm looking at the a6000 now. It looks like an awesome option.
My budget range is around $800 (aud).

The only problem i have is, is there any significant differences between dslr and mirrorless? Say nikon d5300 vs sony a6000
Yes there are differences but i'm sure you read a bit out them? The most obviously the biggest difference is the viewfinder. Mirrorless use electronic viewfinders so you are actually looking at a screen. Video is usually better on mirrorless but you will need to do your own research there as i do not shoot video.

Both cameras you've mentioned probably share the same sensor so image quality will comparable.

Last edited:
Back