Mirrorless suggestions - moving on from EOS M

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I say moving on...............this is all hypothetical at the moment!

I have been away from photography for a little while and I have been going through a kit check........probably more a case of GAS actually!!

I bought an EOS M a while back to use alongside my 40D. At the time I was pleased with it, I liked that it had a more modern sensor and features, was compact, could do half decent video, etc. Yet as time went on, I found I didn't use it a great deal. With the kit 18-55, it wasn't pocketable, so if I was taking a bag, I had the option of my 40D and Tamron 17-50 2.8 - so I would tend to use that. Then I bought a 22mm F2 and that has stayed on the M ever since, great lens, made the camera much more usable for me - I can chuck it in my pocket for times I didn't want to take my bag, great walkabout focal length, nice IQ - all good.

However, whenever I get it out, I still find the lack of EVF or OVF a distraction - an (articulating) LCD live view can be great, but when I can, I prefer to use a viewfinder. I also find it a little awkward to hold (lack of grip), I find going in & out of menus to change settings annoying, and a major pet peeve is when spinning the aperture wheel, I often accidentally click it and find myself adjusting EV!! But it does take nice pictures, I just find that it's still not totally instinctive to use. I also wish it had wifi, for times when I just want to shoot jpeg and quickly transfer the images without plugging a lead in
So, since I have been away from cameras for a bit, I am now overwhelmed with what is available on the mirrorless market!! It makes sense to stick to Canon, as I can still use my EF & EF-M lenses, but likewise, I have so far only used EF-M lenses, I haven't bothered to try an adaptor yet - so I don't have too much invested.

I really like the look of the Fuji X series cameras, I like the way the jpegs look, I like the way the cameras look, the individual dials for iso, shutter, aperture, etc - but to be honest, there seem to be so many models - I am lost!!

I initially liked the look of the X100 or X100s, but neither of those have wifi, and I want wifi transfer. I then looked at the X-T1, X-T10 and X-E2 - all seem to be similar enough. I don't need weather sealing, and I suppose I would be looking for best bang for my buck - I don't want to spend too much as this will be a second/third camera for travelling light, snapshots, partner to use, etc.

So, out of the three I have mentioned, the XE2 or XT10 seem to be the cheaper models - realistically, how much should I expect to pay for a used body with a used 35mm ff equivalent fast lens? Are there models I have missed that will give me the iQ of my M, along with wifi, EVF and half decent AF. Or maybe another brand altogether.....maybe an A6000?

It could make sense to stay with Canon, but the model that seems to meet what I am looking for would be the M5, and that is more than I want to spend really.

Any suggestions from those who have walked a similar path would be much appreciated :)

The M5 is the obvious choice, has everything you want.

But if you're happy to completely jump ship, the Fuji Xe2 is brilliant for the money.

You might miss DSLR speed focussing, but the ergonomics are great.

Just one caveat; the lenses, whilst they're lovely aren't cheap. So buying a Fuji camera might be cheaper than the M5, by the time you've bought lenses, you'll be out of pocket.
That's why I'm going for an M5 to replace my Fuji.

The other side of that though, Canon are a bit slow producing quality lenses for the M system.

I recently made the switch to Fuji from Canon. I got. fed up with all that weight and wanted something lighter for travel so bought an XT1 and 18-55 from Fuji refurbed. I loved it so much I sold all my canon gear to mpb, which consisted of a Canon 5D11, 24-105, 17-40, 70-200 and a sigma 50mm. So as you can imagine it wasn't an easy decision. But so far I don't regret it. I am finding that I enjoy photography again and hopefully I will be more inclined to take the camera out with me as its smaller and lighter.

I don't know much about the M5 setup, but in terms of mirrorless, canon is lagging well behind Fuji, Sony and Olympus. I would definitely go with something with wifi, as I love it on the XT1, makes life so much easier

My last DSLR was the canon D3, and bought the M3 as a smaller alternative.

With the full frame lenses and adaptor, it just felt silly, and with the native mirrorless lenses, the quality was just not there for me at the time, so I moved over to Fuji, initially an XPro2 and then adding in the XT2 (I’ve had the X100 services cameras since introduction too, so was familiar with the Fuji tech).

The Fuji bodies are about half way size wise between the M3 and the 5D, but there are smaller Fuji bodies available (XT20 for example ), but my main reason was for the lens lineup, also about half way between the canon L and the Canon M3 native.

I’ve lost a bit of the benefit of the size of the Canon mirrorless, but I’m much happier with the lens lineup.

The M5 is the obvious choice, has everything you want.

But if you're happy to completely jump ship, the Fuji Xe2 is brilliant for the money.

You might miss DSLR speed focussing, but the ergonomics are great.

Just one caveat; the lenses, whilst they're lovely aren't cheap. So buying a Fuji camera might be cheaper than the M5, by the time you've bought lenses, you'll be out of pocket.
That's why I'm going for an M5 to replace my Fuji.

The other side of that though, Canon are a bit slow producing quality lenses for the M system.

The M5 does seem the obvious choice, but it still seems a slightly more expensive option. Something like an XE2 or XT10 can be bought used for around £200-250, then initially I'd add either the 23mm or 27mm prime, so another £200-300 used? An M5 body is maybe £700? So slightly lower initial outlay, but you're quite right, Fuji glass does seem expensive. I have recently bought a 5Dc and still have my 40D, so still have a DSLR to fall back on for now.

I recently made the switch to Fuji from Canon. I got. fed up with all that weight and wanted something lighter for travel so bought an XT1 and 18-55 from Fuji refurbed. I loved it so much I sold all my canon gear to mpb, which consisted of a Canon 5D11, 24-105, 17-40, 70-200 and a sigma 50mm. So as you can imagine it wasn't an easy decision. But so far I don't regret it. I am finding that I enjoy photography again and hopefully I will be more inclined to take the camera out with me as its smaller and lighter.

I don't know much about the M5 setup, but in terms of mirrorless, canon is lagging well behind Fuji, Sony and Olympus. I would definitely go with something with wifi, as I love it on the XT1, makes life so much easier

Going from a 5D2, do you miss FF at all? Likewise, how does the 18-55 compare to (half of the range) the 24-105 L? Glad you are enjoying your Fuji setup. I personally don't mind lugging my bag around, but there are times a compact camera will give you different opportunities. It was only in jest, but a friend joked about me taking my 40D and 70-300 to the beach (you can guess the joke) - she probably wouldn't have remarked on a smaller, non DSLR camera!!

My last DSLR was the canon D3, and bought the M3 as a smaller alternative.

With the full frame lenses and adaptor, it just felt silly, and with the native mirrorless lenses, the quality was just not there for me at the time, so I moved over to Fuji, initially an XPro2 and then adding in the XT2 (I’ve had the X100 services cameras since introduction too, so was familiar with the Fuji tech).

The Fuji bodies are about half way size wise between the M3 and the 5D, but there are smaller Fuji bodies available (XT20 for example ), but my main reason was for the lens lineup, also about half way between the canon L and the Canon M3 native.

I’ve lost a bit of the benefit of the size of the Canon mirrorless, but I’m much happier with the lens lineup.

I feel the same about the EF/EF-M adaptor, handy for if the need arises, but I can't really see myself slapping a big lens in a small body when I may as well use my 5D or 40D. I think this is why primes are appealing to me more & more lately. I've been happy to leave the 22mm on my M ever since I bought it, just made it more usable (pocketable).

I haven't missed moving from FF yet, there maybe times I will but we will see. As for the 18 to 55, I think it is as good as the 24 to 105. Although it doesn't have constant aperture, but I'm tempted to get a few primes as well, so maybe just changing my whole style of shooting. I will miss the 70 to 200. Didn't use it much won't miss the size, but easily the best lens I used for sharpness and quality.

Either way early days yet, but promising so far.

The M5 does seem the obvious choice, but it still seems a slightly more expensive option. Something like an XE2 or XT10 can be bought used for around £200-250, then initially I'd add either the 23mm or 27mm prime, so another £200-300 used? An M5 body is maybe £700? So slightly lower initial outlay, but you're quite right, Fuji glass does seem expensive. I have recently bought a 5Dc and still have my 40D, so still have a DSLR to fall back on for now.

Going from a 5D2, do you miss FF at all? Likewise, how does the 18-55 compare to (half of the range) the 24-105 L? Glad you are enjoying your Fuji setup. I personally don't mind lugging my bag around, but there are times a compact camera will give you different opportunities. It was only in jest, but a friend joked about me taking my 40D and 70-300 to the beach (you can guess the joke) - she probably wouldn't have remarked on a smaller, non DSLR camera!!

I feel the same about the EF/EF-M adaptor, handy for if the need arises, but I can't really see myself slapping a big lens in a small body when I may as well use my 5D or 40D. I think this is why primes are appealing to me more & more lately. I've been happy to leave the 22mm on my M ever since I bought it, just made it more usable (pocketable).
you can import for a bit less
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-m5-body-black-5723-p.asp

I suggest you have a look at the Sony system too, you said that video would be something you're interrested in too, sony is great for video, the A6300 has 4k video recording, and i think it also can do 1080p at 120fps for slow motion. I went for the A6500 for the IBIS, and it's the first time i've felt satisfied with my kit since i swapped from Canon DSLR's to mirrorless, i tried the EOS M, the Olympus E-M10 but sold both of them, i love the feel of the A6500, it's nice and compact, fantastic results, great lenses, and you can use Canon EF lenses with the Sigma MC11 adapter with great performance too.

I've had both Olympus and Fuji systems. I've settled on Fuji now but I reckon both systems are pretty damn good.
I agree with this.

All systems are pretty good now, you’re not really going to buy into anything that won’t ultimately work for you regardless of brand. Just find the one that ‘clicks’ for you and enjoy without fear of buyers remorse.

Fwiw. If you just want a quick way to transfer JPG and you shoot JPG+RAW then check out Toshiba FlashAir SD cards. I got one with an Olympus E-PL5 bought when I was considering the EOS-M.
I then bought a later version for my Fuji XF1.
It creates a hotspot, connect your phone and transfer using their app. Not very expensive on eBay.

Transcend also do a version though eyefi seem to have disappeared.

My newer Olympus EM10 has full wifi control for remote shooting as well as geotag through the app. It's a lot better than just file transfer but the upgrade was a lot more than £25

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have taken a small step back for the moment, I go away on holiday next week so will have plenty of time to take photos and see if I still feel the same.

Going against what I said above, I have actually bought an EF to EF-M adaptor to allow me to use my M in more situations and get a better feel for how I feel about the system. I also bought an EF-S 10-18mm to try with the M as I couldn't decide on a wide angle for my 5D!!

The Fuji X100F has wi-fi, but it's still a bit pricy just now. How about the X-T1or 2 with the 18-55 to start with?

Back