Mirrorless Technique vs DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
I've always been an SLR user and even with the introduction of live view only use it when on a tripod, using the eye viewfinder to compose and shoot if hand holding. I've noticed on a couple of YouTube videos that the photographers use the rear screen exclusively to shoot and hold the camera at the same distance as you would your phone camera.

Is this a standard technique for mirrorless or just me showing my age where it you grew up in an age of SLR you automatically use the viewfinder compared to the mobile phone generation

I think people use what they prefer, I use both. I dont think milc = rear screen shooting only. Most DSLR live view AF sucks anyway, so it has to be on a tripod shooting still subjects, theres no real choice.

Last edited:
I imagine YouTubers would also use that method to improve their video.

It would be hard to present a video with your face smushed into the viewfinder and the rear screen allows the viewer to see the same as the photographer.

Regardless of mirrorless/compact/bridge/DSLR I use whichever method suits the picture I want to take. Low or high angle use flippy screen, eyelevel use the viewfinder. You can even use a flippy out screen to shoot round corners!

Very much what @Ed Sutton says above.

I love my screen for composing, but generally always check the viewfinder before shooting, unless:

The camera is at an angle where I can't get my head (low down, high up etc),
On the rare occasions I shoot video.
Night scenes, light trails etc.

Last night I had an evening at a Falconry, and I didn't use the screen once to shoot.

I only use the screen for viewing photos and histogram, I much prefer using a viewfinder for taking photos.
I remember Canon charging silly money for an EVF for one of their first generation mirror bodies and even now quite a few of the mid price miror bodies still have only a screen.
I really don't think I could move to a body without a viewfinder so when DSLR's are dead it will have to be a mirrorless system with an EVF for me.

I almost exclusively use the EVF off the tripod, and reluctantly use the back screen when on - reluctantly because it means I have to don my glasses, whereas the EVF has diopter adjustment.

I have two olympus bodies one has a flip screen thats always turned in except for reviewing pics . the other has fold down/up screen thats permanently turned off to use the evf

At eye level, the camera is braced against your face and more stable (though IS, which is probably more common on mirrorless, can help with that). I only use the rear LCD when I can't crouch low enough or stretch high enough to use the EVF.

Prior to going mirrorless the only time I used live view was on a tripod using a TS-E lens.
Even with mirrorless I only use the rear screen is when I use it flipped out to shoot down low, my days of lying down have with advancing years long departed.

I've always been an SLR user and even with the introduction of live view only use it when on a tripod, using the eye viewfinder to compose and shoot if hand holding. I've noticed on a couple of YouTube videos that the photographers use the rear screen exclusively to shoot and hold the camera at the same distance as you would your phone camera.

Is this a standard technique for mirrorless or just me showing my age where it you grew up in an age of SLR you automatically use the viewfinder compared to the mobile phone generation
No it's just they are used to using phones. Those of us that learn't photography use an EVF just as you would a OVF, it's generally easier to hold the camera like that & reflections on the screen aren't ever a problem.

Videographers tend to use the LCD more, they can plan their movements ahead a lot better for one, better spacial awareness of the surrounds while they pan. Also they're often using extra gear that makes evf use impractical [gimbals, mics, headphones] - For photography I don't think it really matters these days. One is as good as the other, LCD have become just as responsive as evf unlike live view on older dslr. Canon have managed to improve upon this alot though, their more recent dslr like the 80/90D have touch screen LCD better than many ML cams.

Personally, I use both, depending on the situation. I prefer the evf for close ups or macro when I need the finer details bang on, tack sharp - especially for manual focusing. But I'll use the LCD just as often, tilt screens make an LCD much more practical than static ones.

Last edited:
Vidio users are increasingly using Rigs around their cameras and using large screen
LCD screens to view the image and Gimbals and the like to hold their cameras steady.
A mirrorless camera can be virtually hidden in kit, including microphones and recorders and additional batteries all mounted to the rig.

Seems bonkers to me.... but apparently you save a lot of money compared to dedicated video kit, and can actually get better quality.

Since switching to a mirrorless system I definitely use the lcd more often than the evf purely because it allows me to to interact more with the subject when shooting that way. Never really bothered when I used DSLRS as a.f using live view was so slow and clunky.

Unless I'm wearing bifocals (which I dislike so rarely wear when out and about!), I don't use the rear screen unless I really have to (and can find a pair of reading glasses).

Actually a fair number of more recent Canon DSLRs have the same dual pixel AF for their live view mode as they do for their mirrorless cameras, so the live view AF is just as good.
In the case of the new Canon 1DX Mk3 using it in live view is as good as using the dual pixel AF on the EOS R and gives the faster burst rates I believe because it's not flipping the mirror up and down.

Personally, I use the live view on my Canon 6D when doing landscapes on a tripod or when taking shots where I can't get the camera to my eye. I tried the Canon EOS RP (mirrorless) for a weekend and found I was doing just the same, but found that I could rely on the AF in live view even with moving subjects because it uses the dual pixel AF, which is so much better than the 6D. But then the latest Canon AF systems are much better than the older 6D's system.
I do have a Canon EOS M, and dislike using it because I don't have the option of using a viewfinder.

There are a few youtubers who just got on the Sony system and went "hey I can use this at arms-length with eye-AF".
It's all personal preference.

I have to say I really don't get on with using an EVF over a traditional viewfinder, really struggle but going to have to find peace with it because everything seems to be mirrorless now

I have to say I really don't get on with using an EVF over a traditional viewfinder, really struggle but going to have to find peace with it because everything seems to be mirrorless now
The Fuji X-Pro and X100 series cameras with the hybrid viewfinder are nice - you can switch between EVF and conventional direct view in the same eyepiece.

I'm short sighted, but I only wear my glasses for driving and going to the cinema etc. So I don't use them when using the camera. I set the diopter on the viewfinder so that it's in focus for my eyes. And if I'm using the screen, it's close enough that I don't have an issue with it being out of focus.
If I happen to be wearing glasses, I tend to just flip them up when using the camera.
I had no problem doing the same when using the mirrorless Canon EOS RP.
But if you have mixed eye sight, then it would be more complex.

Almost exclusively use the rear screen since I've gone over to Sony.

More angles to work from, but more importantly for me, I can engage with my couples better as I'm not hiding behind the camera. Also easier to keep an eye on anything that might come into frame.

The EVF uses a lot more battery power apparently, which might come into the equation?
So they told me when I changed to Olympus ,my EVF is on all the time , I currently get around 3 to 4 hours or over 800 shots from one battery

I use the LCD quite a bit but then again I'm mainly landscape/woodland tripod shooting.

I virtually always use the EVF when shooing handheld unless I'm down really low & it gives me no choice but the flip the screen.

I have both Canon 80D and EOS R and I take a lot of close up macro stuff, especially of insects. I have found the R to be a big improvement because the EVF always gives you a bright image with which to compose and focus the shot whatever the lighting conditions and magnification (providing you remember to turn "Exposure emulation" off via the menus of course!). The MP-E65 macro at 4:1, even wide open at F2.8, has an effective aperture of F14, so you get a pretty dim image in the viewfinder even in good light on an SLR. The EVF compensates and gives you a nice bright, clear image. jerry12953 is correct that this does chew through the battery quite quickly though!

More power than an optical viewfinder yes lots, more power than the bigger screen on the back no :)

Well documented EVFs use more power than LCD... but ime dont rely on Cipa ratings, they are not accurate.

I am wrong and you are right! I wanted to argue with you but went and checked the manual, never occured to me that the screen design was more power hungry!

Didnt want an argument, its really surprising that the EVF uses more power, guess its down to the resolution and each individual pixel lighting up and dimming in a scene.

I almost exclusively use the EVF off the tripod, and reluctantly use the back screen when on - reluctantly because it means I have to don my glasses, whereas the EVF has diopter adjustment.
Me too (y)

I am wrong and you are right! I wanted to argue with you but went and checked the manual, never occured to me that the screen design was more power hungry!

I believe it's down to the heat generation / dissipation being less efficient with the evf being internal

You Sir just earned my respect (y)

Back