Mirrorless

I don't have the D500 anymore Steve, the only DSLR we have left is the D3 and that will never leave us, for some reason the wife never puts it down, she adores it.

I don't have the D500 anymore Steve, the only DSLR we have left is the D3 and that will never leave us, for some reason the wife never puts it down, she adores it.

I'd rectify that if you want a cropper. Otherwise a D850 - you have the lenses already I believe. I remember you from the D810 thread - they're a hell of a camera by the way and I am over the moon with my 2.

I feel no urge to go mirrorless (I get to see a lot of cameras running workshops ;))and whilst they are actively making DSLR's I will continue to buy them until I can no longer.

A big flaw with mirrorless cameras is the lack of mirror -they collect sensor dirt way more easily. I know they're the "in" thing but that doesn't make getting one "a must".

Phase detect has its issues too. I don't know if it's still there these days but back when I had Canon DSLR's (and maybe it was the same for Nikon and everyone else) it said on their web site that if you took three pictures of the same subject you'd see focus differences between them and this was normal. So there's that. The normal slightly hit or miss nature of it and then I suppose there's the possibility of alignment issues and that must be a significant factor otherwise how could we account for a lens being poor on one body and better on another?

What mirrorless can you MA? The only case I'm aware of is when MA-ing DSLR lenses using an adapter which gives phase detect. Generally I think it's still truism that you get much less variability with mirrorless and probably to the point that it isn't an issue except in very specific instances.
You mentioned this before. Like I said the last time micro adjust on the Sony mirrorless bodies is only there to allow you to micro adjust A mount lenses when using the adaptor. It is not to be used for e-mount lenses.

I would be very concerned if you are having issues with your 85mm. All of the lenses I have bought for my Sony bodies have been perfect and I don’t know of anyone that had any issues with front or back focusing even with the very cheap lenses. A few people have had issues with hunting and eye a.f with some of the really cheap glass but you have to expect that really.
This is where I struggle to find the info tbh, I do know what Nikon Z's have MA, but for which lenses I do not know but I can only assume it's for the AF-S one as I believe they're the only ones that work with AF using the adapter. I believe the older D ones, and the even older AiS don't work with AF. As far as Sony go I can't comment, but I forgot that you'd mentioned the a-mount thing TBH @f/2.8. I know that Olympus have MA as well, but again for which lenses I don't know.

Not about to justify my reasons for using a mirrorless camera other than I want to.
No ones business apart from my own and that goes for how much things cost too.

If you fancy one, give it a go, plenty of choice and all have their pros and cons.
All very decent and will no doubt provide decent enough quality for a large print

Last edited:
This is where I struggle to find the info tbh, I do know what Nikon Z's have MA, but for which lenses I do not know but I can only assume it's for the AF-S one as I believe they're the only ones that work with AF using the adapter. I believe the older D ones, and the even older AiS don't work with AF. As far as Sony go I can't comment, but I forgot that you'd mentioned the a-mount thing TBH @f/2.8. I know that Olympus have MA as well, but again for which lenses I don't know.

Not sure about the Nikon Z's have just realised you are probably talking about a non native z mount 85mm lens that is slightly out. I would imagine that the af micro adjust is for those rather than native lenses like Sony. On the Sony website, they mention about only using m.a with A mount and the adaptor, it might be buried somewhere in the Nikon manual.

Not sure about the Nikon Z's have just realised you are probably talking about a non native z mount 85mm lens that is slightly out. I would imagine that the af micro adjust is for those rather than native lenses like Sony. On the Sony website, they mention about only using m.a with A mount and the adaptor, it might be buried somewhere in the Nikon manual.
It doesn't specify in the Nikon manual, and details online seem to be contradictory online about phase detect vs hybrid when using the FTZ adapter. But yes I was referring to the AF-S 85mm f1.8, the Z mount isn't available yet but is a lens I am saving for as and when it doesn't come out.

I have also bought a Fuji 50-230mm OIS as a starter lens as its the range I would use the most, I must sat though after reading reviews, its quite a good lens, I will be looking at a wide lens in the future and maybe the 100-400 in time but for now the 50-230 will be adequate.

Back