1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I heard an incredible thundering noise 11.50am this morning, 21 April. I ran to the back door to have a look, it was what looked like three fighter jets. They were flying in unison, it was an incredible sight. I only wished I had picked my camera up. A missed opportunity. :( This was the Runcorn area I spotted them. Did anyone else hear, or see them? More importantly, did anyone manage to get a photo?

OldCarlos likes this.
  2. bledyn125

bledyn125

Name:
    bleddyn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

i didnt see them but they where 3 raf tornado gr4 heading to the mach loop the pink one was one of them i tracked tham on radar 360

3. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the info.

It was an incredible sight, only wished I had gotten a photo.

4. johnf3f

johnf3f

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Back in the 90's I worked in a high street bank in the South Wales valleys. One day I was having a chat with the boss and stopped mid sentence, then blurted out "They are Merlins!". Left him where he stood and ran out the back of the building in time to catch 6 Merlins in close formation at VERY low altitude! Battle of Britain flight Lanc, Spit and Hurrybird doing a fly past for the local Butcher's birthday - he had been a Wing Commander in WW2. Wish I had a camera with me - a wide angle lens would have been quite long enough!

Unfortunately my father was only a Squadron Leader so he didn't get such treatment.............

To be fair my father did get some nice shots of the Vulcan bombers that used to fly up our valley (at altitudes that are totally banned these days) back in the late 1960s, wish I could find them now!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Graham W

Graham W

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm assuming it's the same three which flew over Matlock around lunchtime yesterday.

bledyn125 and jonbeeza like this.
  6. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That was a nice read. (y)

johnf3f likes this.
  7. andy1868

andy1868

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I know the feeling, I was doing some work up in Appleby-in-Westmorland last week when a Hercules C130 flew over really low over where I was working. I was in awe of seeing it so low that I never even thought to whip my phone out for a shot.

We often hear jets thundering about when working on the same site but rarely see them as they're low and there's lots of trees on site etc. The Hercules was a stroke of luck

8. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just thinking, even if I had thought of grabbing my camera, I had the 35mm lens fitted. Not sure I would have gotten anything meaningful. Trouble is when something unusual happens, we are often dumbstruck or in shock and stare at the event in awe. It is only after the event, we think about what we should have done.

9. OldCarlos

OldCarlos

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    John, the same thing happened with me a year ago (20th April)

We get quite a lot of flyovers of various aircraft & I just happened to be outside with my camera when in quick succession 3 flew past, very low overhead.
    There was virtually no warning before & I hadn't seen them approaching or anything in the distance .............. :eek:

[​IMG]Eurofighter Typhoon. by Carl B, on Flickr

johnf3f and jonbeeza like this.
  10. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Very impressive photo,:) would love to capture something like that, flying overhead. I am in Runcorn, so we have both Liverpool and Manchester Airport very close by. Get lots of planes flying overhead. I might get a zoom lens at some point.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. Nod

Nod Ethel Prescott

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

It's an immutable law of Sod that when an unexpected event happens, the camera shall not be to hand or if it IS, it will not have the suitable lens attached.

Sometimes see the A400M as it does "touch and gos" at Exeter airport but it's almost always when I'm on a course so don't have a camera with me. It's usually in to morning and I'd be shooting straight into the low sun as well.

12. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

The DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens, the X10 and a Panasonic Compact with 20X zoom, have now been placed on a table near the back door. I am now spoilt for choice. Lovely blue sky, but not much happening now. :(

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  13. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    [​IMG]
    Just a quick snap grab with my phone.

Basic choice I have at the moment, I could do with a longer lens really.

14. Nod

Nod Ethel Prescott

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Lumix probably has the greatest reach but equally is probably the slowest to achieve focus. Given that the planes were probably over and done with in 5 seconds or less, I'd usually (read "I DO usually!") just let the Mk1 eyeballs have a chance at them - having said that, I've often taken my contact lenses out so can't see them properly anyway!

jonbeeza likes this.
  15. bledyn125

bledyn125

Name:
    bleddyn
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    the usaf and raf dont fly on weekends or bank holidays monday to friday first light to last light.get yourself up the mach loop thats the best place to see them low level.

[​IMG]IMG_5894_filtered by martyn williams, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_9100_filtered by martyn williams, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5919_filtered by martyn williams, on Flickr

OldCarlos likes this.
  16. jonbeeza

jonbeeza

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    bledyn125 likes this.