Beginner Missing files?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Missing files from seagate external hard drive to Lightroom cc ,Iv tried the normal ways via you tube but still nothing any help much appreciated .

Sorry for the lack of details, files missing from LR and seamed to have vanished ,i have a day off so will try again

Image1501064244.149523.jpgImage1501064265.317126.jpg
A lot of zip files have appeared on all my files (mac) which wasn't there before ? Do I need to anything with these?.

I will be interested in the replies as I had the same problem a few weeks back. I assumed it was my CF card that had not recorded the photo's correctly, so I have replaced it.

Just been on the phone to adobe they told me as it was a external hard drive nothing they can do as they don't support it?

So the images are physically on your computers hard drive; YES or NO?

The images were in LR but I could not open them or do anything with them as I got the message that files were missing. I have had to do a reinstall on my iMac since then so they are no longer on the HD in LR. But the strange part is that they are on my Seagrave external backup drive and I still cannot do anything with them.

When you IMPORT the images into LR from your CF card you also have to copy the images to your HD otherwise LR thinks the images are still on the CF card, which is why it is telling you that it can't find them.

Nope - sorry that's wrong. The import process has two ways of doing it - Move or Copy. The default is copy, where it will take a copy into your folder you have selected for import.
Move is for if you want to clean off the CF card as well - always seems silly to me - I'd rather a safe copy there as well. It doesn't try to access them from the CF card for processing etc.

If you're missing files, in Lightroom, just right click on the folder and locate missing files, then browse to the hard drive. I bet th ehard drive has changed letter on your PC or something like that.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/locate-missing-photos.html

Last edited:
NOPE - SORRY THAT'S WRONG: You also have the option of ADD which will add the files to the catalog without moving them.

Dang that lightroom 6 :D
To be strictly pedantic, without resorting to shouting, the options are:

Copy As DNG
Copies photos to the folder you choose and converts any camera raw files to the Digital Negative (DNG) format.

Copy
Copies the photo files to the folder you choose, including any sidecar files.

Move
Moves the photo files to the folder you choose, including any sidecar files. Files are removed from their current location.

Add
Keeps the photo files in their current location.

You use add when the files are already in the location on your hard drive/storage. You mentioned importing from CF card, if doing it from the camera, then the move and add options are not available.

Just

The OP is missing everything not just the last download. Surely the first thing he needs to do is plug his external drive in, make sure it's being recognised, and check that the files are on the drive.

first question.. if its everything then has your external drive got a different drive letter assigned to normal.

second question.. if adobe arent supporting you, have you used a USB or network drive as an external drive?

third question.. have you right clicked on any and used the locate option?

the ZIP files arent necessarily a concern. if you have backup enabled on exit, LR backs up to a ZIP file.

Last edited:
So the computer recognises the drive outside LR and you can access it but it's empty. So it's showing that it's got full capacity available minus a bit for sea gates junk that they put on there?

Have you searched for the folders by name on the computer hard drive?

first question.. if its everything then has your external drive got a different drive letter assigned to normal.

second question.. if adobe arent supporting you, have you used a USB or network drive as an external drive?

third question.. have you right clicked on any and used the locate option?

the ZIP files arent necessarily a concern. if you have backup enabled on exit, LR backs up to a ZIP file.

^^^^^^^^

Been trying to find the files theres nothing on the external hd

So is the external hard drive your only copy of the files?
So the computer recognises the drive outside LR and you can access it but it's empty. So it's showing that it's got full capacity available minus a bit for sea gates junk that they put on there?
Have you searched for the folders by name on the computer hard drive?

This - whats the capacity of the drive? It's unlikely that files disappear on their own and the drive shows as it's capacity, so they've been deleted or moved.
If so you may be able to use some rescue software such as Sandisk Rescue pro.
http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro/

I've sent you a code for it (I get a copy every time we buy sandisk cards and we buy quite a few). You could run that against the external hard drive to see if it can recover anything.

When you IMPORT the images into LR from your CF card you also have to copy the images to your HD otherwise LR thinks the images are still on the CF card, which is why it is telling you that it can't find them.
Thanks for the info, but strangely enough I have never had this problem before and I have been using LR since it first came out.

update the external hard drive is now saying that cannot be opened by mac ? MS-DOS (FAT)

Okay, that's not sounding good. Do you have any other external drives you could swap bits with to make sure the PSU(if used)/USB cable/USB computer port are functioning correctly?

Update all sorted hdd faulty saved most photos ,thanks for your help.

Sorry if I seem to be hijacking this.

Further to my posting regarding the missing files. Yesterday I imported my photo's back into my iMac/LR, from my Seagate backup drive, first time after the reinstall, I clicked on one of the photos that was supposed to have missing files and low and behold I was able to work on it.
So whats going on there ?.

Back