misty house

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Do your worst, I've tried to get this scene a few times and I'm still not happy. What do you think is missing here? Shot in yesterdays frost which accounts for the greyish look on the trees.

IMG_6168.jpg

crop out that light bit in the right hand corner and it looks immediately better ;) I love the moody treatment you have given this.

I love it.
It even got my Mrs to lift her head up from plucking her eyebrows so its a big thumbs up from her too :thumb:

Same as Marianne...crop out the right to get rid of the white sky.
Other than that, leave well alone...its perfick :clap:

I agree about the light area top-right. I also feel there is too much water in the foreground upon which the strongest image elements are floating. I'd crop out a considerable chunk of this.

I've edited this and cloned in some more trees. I'll post it later if you like. I feel I should let others form their own (un-influenced) opinions first.

I'm seeing it much like chuckles I think. I'd crop out all the foreground water to just below the mist which gets rid of all the lighter water, and it would work for me as more of a pano shot. The blank upper right corner doesn't bother me unduly, but it would be easy to clone out.

Great shot btw!

I'm with CT, in from the right and bottom. I love the picture - and i seem to recognise it. Am sure I have been past it on a boat. Scotland somewhere?

Excellent folks, thanks for the suggestions, this is a bit of a mix, a really quick cloning in the trees as suggested by chuckles (Please post yours though :) ) and cropping the bottom out. I think it improves it quite a bit??

Edit: Aquila, yep it's in Inverness, beside the Bught Park, there's been an Eagleowl there which I've unsuccessfully tried to get a shot of.

mistyhouse.jpg

Not a lot different really ... just a bit more off the bottom and a new set of distant trees! :)

dod_1.jpg

Very powerful and an excellent image. Not mine.... yours!:doh:

Oops, forgot the black line!

Cropping has been covered by others. I find the trees behind the building are too light & thus don't make the building stand out enough. I tried a quick lassoo selection of area behind building & found levels were way off from dark....adjusted & a lot better. Just needs a more careful hand to select for final result.

Cracking shot btw

cracking shot, love the second version, outstanding as usual

Love the crop. dod - I don't think it was the same place I was thinking of, the one i saw was more castle-like.

Chuckles cropped it exactly where I would, but the other crop works well too.

Very nice shot dod, Think I prefer your crop with just that little more water in the foreground, although they are all very good even the uncropped.

It's got something. I'm just not sure what.
I think I 'almost' like it.
If I'd taken that I'd still be going back for another go.

great photo, the cropping definately makes this shot work, boy, you just cant help but be impressed by the quality of the guys/gals in here, i love it.
stevannie
ps would like to see dave's version too 8)

I love the cropped versions, very haunting i feel.

I would like to see the colour version too, not for any reason just i like colour :) and curious to the colour of the house against the trees.

barrymoir said:
I would like to see the colour version too, not for any reason just i like colour :)

Just for you Barry, straight from the cam, just resized. It was never going to be anything other than a B&W shot.

IMG_6168from-cam.jpg

Arkady, I agree, there is a shot here, but I don't think it's finished yet. I'm going to go back to the RAW and start again. As far as the scene is concerned there's not a lot of options for ways to take it, more or less this or nothing

The scene looks good. Mabe the light itself - you say you've been trying for a while on this one? Keep going back there and see if the light improves it - mist won't ever be there again on any subsequent visit, ever. Naturally...

Arkady said:
The scene looks good. Mabe the light itself - you say you've been trying for a while on this one? Keep going back there and see if the light improves it - mist won't ever be there again on any subsequent visit, ever. Naturally...

Yep, third attempt. Last time there was mist but the sun was right behind the house. Time before there was sun from the side but no mist, this time mist and no sun :hissyfit:

Cropped as per others. Lassoo selection round background trees with feather of 3 pixels, showed levels to be concentrated to middle...pulled in outer markers. Did same for building. Another take for people to compare.

IMG_6168.jpg

Now thats what i call Moody!, great take on this photo, i think its gives it loads of atmosphere, well done.
ps thanks for telling us what you did too :cool:

Well you might as well have the naff version now with sunbeams ;) Just need CT to clone in the Loch Ness monster now

IMG_6168copyv2.jpg

You had it on the last try, without the sunbeams. Very nice.

DJW said:
Cropped as per others. Lassoo selection round background trees with feather of 3 pixels, showed levels to be concentrated to middle...pulled in outer markers. Did same for building. Another take for people to compare.

You're not going to believe this but I had a quick play about before we went away yesterday and came up with something similar. Same sort of process but a bit of dodge/burn as well

mistyhouse2.jpg

DJW said:

I must say that I prefer DJW's version, he's retained more detail in the forground tree's and brought out the levels better in the house just to give it some punch.

It's an outstanding image and a massive leap from the raw, hats off to you. :clap:

Back