Mitsubishi Outlander

Had diesel auto in Iceland this year. All was pretty good actually. The major quirk is the fragile front door panels - let it open fully and you will be denting it into the hinges. Auto was pretty good 6 speed, did what I needed, but not as fast or smooth as DSG. You have a little bit of road noise coming through into the cabin but thats about the worst I could think of. Fuel economy certainly decent and it is pretty fun to drive with AWD lock on.

I have a 2 yr old auto diesel. Nothing to really complain about at all. (y) It's better fuel economy than our previous Sportage & petrol CRV before that.

When looking at buying ours I asked about the electric range & I think it was only around 14 miles, so obviously needs consideration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I only do a 11 mile round trip to work but have a diesel van just now and take it monthly on long runs to clear the DPF and so far so good so the diesel works for my driving however the electric also appeals for shorter work journeys. Anyone know known engine issues or faults with either petrol or diesel?

Realistically whats your mpg for the diesel?

Ours has only done 18K & 50% of the journey's are short runs of between 1 - 5 miles. 25% are around 15 - 30 miles. The rest are longer runs.

I think it averages nearly 40 mpg. (if I remember correctly, the best was around 45 on a run)

New car 3.JPG Sounds like the PHEV might just fit the bill for you. (y) (as long as you don't need the 2 foldaway seats in the boot)

Will you be using it off road?
I keep ours mostly in `eco` 2 wheel drive (sensors engage 4 if needed) but in frosty/icy/very heavy rain i'll press the button for keeping it in 4.
Apart from trying it out a couple of times, I haven't used `lock`.

Ours also has the side steps, which limit height/clearance, so not ideal for off road.

I really like the auto with the flappy paddles & the 2.25 turbo engine has plenty of torque, when compared to my previous diesel.
I really like it.

Spoke to someone who said his was quite heavy on front tyres, but ours are still ok @ 18,000 & reckon they're good for another 2000 or more. Presume it depends mainly on driving style?

Last edited:
A mate of mine that works for National Grid was about to pull the trigger for the hybrid shortly after release but the few others that already had them rated the economy on them as terrible, iirc the claimed mpg was around 76 and they were getting around 35/40 in the real world, apparently one of the many models on release that used perfect condition testing stats only and more affected than most by real world conditions I guess...
Only a straw poll of one but thought I would mention it ;).

If your going for the PHEV model, it might be worth asking if you can have it on an extended test drive and actually do your normal journey and see what mpg you get from it.

Would be interesting to see what the diesel gives as a direct comparison on your journey ??

I have been given a 65 plate PHEV for the next three years as a company car. Personally I wouldn't buy one for personal use, but as a company car it is good for tax, although the 330e I had previously was so much better as a hybrid.

I don't charge the car as there's nowhere to charge it at work, and I'm not using my leccy as I can't claim it back. So based on mainly running on the engine, the computer says I get between 30-35 mpg, but they do tend to read more than actually calculating it on a tank to tank basis. I have used the charge button and this will drop the mpg to about 25, so not worth it if you pay for the fuel yourself. The car will always put some charge into the battery, so in traffic, it will run on leccy only for short stints. If you're going to charge it, it will return close to the claimed mpg, but only for short journeys and keeping the batteries topped up.

Driving it on long journeys isn't too bad, it's comfortable and sits on the motorway munching the miles. The gearbox is rubbish imo, but I am comparing it to the BMW ZF 8 speed box. Put your foot down and it just seems to rev really high and not really go anywhere (I'd advise doing this if you test drive one just to experience it). It weighs almost 2 ton, so acceleration is not going to be great as you would expect, but it's fast enough for most roads.

The PHEV does have flappy paddles, but they're not for changing gear, they are used to add/remove regenerative braking. This ranges from B0 - B5, with B0 giving no resistance and no charge into the battery. This can be good on long downhill stretches as the engine isn't running and so no fuel used. B2 is similar to normal engine braking and the car starts in this mode. B5 will slow you down quite quickly, which I find worrying if someone is behind you, as no brake lights are on.

The sat nav works ok, although whoever recorded the voice commands must've been in a real bad mood (see honest John's review of it HERE.

The multimedia screen menu is very messy (as described in the above link), it took me 20min just to figure out how to get radio 2 on it. Bluetooth seems to work ok, and the voice dialling works pretty good, once you've figured out how to upload your phones contacts.

Hope the above helps, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Im not totally convinced by the Outlander at the moment however its a strong contender. Im looking for a 4wd SUV style that is quite fuel efficient, reliable and can cope with some snowy backroads and lanes for my jaunts up to Glencoe/Glenshee etc etc.

With proper winter tyres on, I'd have confidence in a diesel outlander.

Im not totally convinced by the Outlander at the moment however its a strong contender. Im looking for a 4wd SUV style that is quite fuel efficient, reliable and can cope with some snowy backroads and lanes for my jaunts up to Glencoe/Glenshee etc etc.

Looking at the fancy graphics on the screen whilst driving, the engine runs the front wheels only and the battery can run all four. So if you're out of charge, I would assume the front wheels will only be driven, but don't quote me on that :)

A bit left field this my daughter had one for the last two years but she lives in the states. It's a nice piece of kit. It does seat 7 but then there's no luggage space. Economy I won't mention it was petrol and it was poor. It depends what you want it for

Thanks folks. I think I will give both a try before I decide. I'm actually favouring the diesel version at the moment. How is the 4wd and lock on the car as sometimes I get into situations where my old van just can't get out of or I just don't go to far down the snowy lanes.

4wd seems to work really well. Apart from trying it twice on snow coming up our quiet, steepish road, can't really comment on `lock` or proper off-road/fields etc. I guess with proper Winter tyres on, which you no doubt need up there, it would be fine.
(Pity you aren't nearer to me, you'd be welcome to try it out)

This week's Auto Express has a special feature on 4wd cars for winter driving, so might be worth a look?

it's a 2 ton diesel world polluter, any reason why you want one of these for sure?

Back