Mixed bag of insects this morning

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Usual kit, 600d, sigma 105mm + raynox 250 plus pringles tube flash setup, F11-F14 (exif data is all on the images at flickr if you click on them anyway)

_MG_0089 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0028-1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

3.. close crop of the eyes
Cropped by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0111 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

5.. bowchickabowow
Untitled2-1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

6.. What the heck is this? Part spider, part something else?
Untitled1-1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers for popping in

Wow, great clarity on these. Makes me want to get out there now looking for insects to photo!

Excellent set and the last one looks like a barkfly nymph to me.. :D

Could be a hopper of some sort @hoftwi ????

Wonderful tones... was this all found on your morning dog walk? The pringles setup is really working well :D

Excellent set and the last one looks like a barkfly nymph to me.. :D

Could be a hopper of some sort @hoftwi ????

Wonderful tones... was this all found on your morning dog walk? The pringles setup is really working well :D
I took the dog out then thought - its really nice and warm, took her home then went back out on my own :) about 45 minutes - keeps me fit as i've got a bit of a podge belly at the moment so doing the macros is helping me lose some weight!

I took the dog out then thought - its really nice and warm, took her home then went back out on my own :) about 45 minutes - keeps me fit as i've got a bit of a podge belly at the moment so doing the macros is helping me lose some weight!

;) I tell me wife that but she still sends me out running :(

Nice set Carl, the barkfly is very detailed. I would say the colour balance is far too green/blue on the weevil shots, have you processed them differently.

Nice set Carl, the barkfly is very detailed. I would say the colour balance is far too green/blue on the weevil shots, have you processed them differently.
Nope, same camera raw preset I use for all my macro shots. WB is always set to "flash" abeit slightly cooler as it tends to be a bit too yellow otherwise, but always the same preset

Nope, same camera raw preset I use for all my macro shots. WB is always set to "flash" abeit slightly cooler as it tends to be a bit too yellow otherwise, but always the same preset

Perhaps it's just the case of the green weevil having the same tonal values as the leaf then Carl, with flash bouncing off the leaves increasing the green? I think they are great shots, theres just something about the colour that doesn't seem right to my eyes.

Nice set of images Carl, with great detail and well composed. I too thought some of them look a little off on WB leaning towards Cyan, I guess they could have picked up a bit of light bounce from the surrounding areas. Apart from that very nice images.(y)

George.

Good for you to get out there and do some macro/exercise, Me, I prefer the macro, stuff the exercise lol
On with the photos, all great altho I do tend to lean to the Weevils and the 2 4 1 (No 5) is great (well for him anyway);)

Perhaps it's just the case of the green weevil having the same tonal values as the leaf then Carl, with flash bouncing off the leaves increasing the green? I think they are great shots, theres just something about the colour that doesn't seem right to my eyes.
I know what you mean - I think the canon tends to over saturate to make it look more colourful - reds in particular but if the green is strong enough, just that little bit more is pushing it over the edge. Maybe I'll add a little de-saturation to the strong colours in my raw preset, just a few points less on green and reds just to see how it pans out. Might be worth just creating a thread on what settings everyone uses in camera raw before doing any post work just to see how much it all varies?

Nice work Carl especially the barkfly

Back