Mixed set from Cornwall

Edit My Images
Yes
I spent a few days down in Cornwall. Not really a photographic trip and I hadn't planned anything to took shots as they occurred to me. Mostly with a Samyang 12mm on my Fuji XT1, some might be with my 35mm.

1. Boscastle at dawn (I might lop a bit off the bottom of this shot, but I am undecided)
Boscastling-103-HDR-Pano.jpg by Ian, on Flickr

2. From Boscastle at sunset
Boscastlesunset-82-Pano.jpg by Ian, on Flickr

3. Porthcothan beach. I don't know why but this shot works for me. I'm not sure it will for anyone else but I'll include it anyway
beach-14.jpg by Ian, on Flickr

4. Cape Cornwall. My mom's favourite place in Cornwall so I had to do a shot for her. Shame about the patchy grass in the foreground
boscastle-100-HDR.jpg by Ian, on Flickr

Any thoughts welcome. I always feel out of my depth doing landscapes. I haven't processed these as much as I usually do, just a velvia profile and some dodging and burning. A couple are HDR merges but in reality the HDR bit wasn't needed and I get almost exactly the same from single images.

Liking these as a set Ian.
The Velvia certainly packs a punch.
I see what you mean regarding No1; personal preference, but if there is a crop, I'd take a little from the top.the bottom offers a nice balance.

Quite like no4 has a good balance to the scene with the boats taken up the foreground eye tends to go to the boats so would not worry about patchy grass.
With the focal layout set to the right this allows the house [white] to come to act as the middleground as the eye seems to pick this building out.
The rocks in the far distance helps to complete the overall scene.
GEORGE.

Thanks both. I will have a play with some different crops of the first shot I think.

Velvia emulation is tricky. I have to tone it down a bit or it is too strong in the shadows for my taste

No 2 is by far the best. I like the colour and wideangle composition works well

No 1 would have benefited from either still or more turbid water. I don't like the rendition (nor this word :p ) of the sky at all. It is way too dark, and it should never be darker than the water for sure. I am actually a little surprised there is no sunburst as it partially eclipsed by the hill.

3 needs stronger foreground and ideally better light.

4. again needs better light. Midday is usually eating, driving or sleeping time when it comes to landscapes.

very fair set of comments, thanks for taking the time to write.

in 1, i agree that i have over darkened the sky. schoolboy error. i think the sunburst is lacking because the sun is also behind a small cloud so diffused. I've one from soon afterwards with a sunburst.

I've gone off 2 as it looks over processed. i will revisit and tone down a little i think.

Your mum has good taste ! Cape Cornwall is also one of my fave spots - although I love the whole Coastline from Mousehole round to Cape Cornwall.

Its a similar position to this shot I took a few years back !

lovely shots! Especially Porthcothan (we stayed at a holiday cottage overlooking the cove and I trotted up and down that beach about 70 times during our stay) so your shots brought back nice memories! :)

Can't say I've ever been there but it looks a lovely place. The first image is my fave. I'm wondering if the wall curves around at the bottom? There's a suggestion that it does and I think there is another angle to be had there with the wall in it, to frame the bottom. Could the shadows to the right have some detail in them to be brought out? Still, a lovely image though, I like the compostition.

The second image is lovely too and has the type of framing that I was meaning at the bottom of the frame that I think would work in the first. Lovely sky.

I like the mono but it's not quite as interesting as the first 2 but it's still a keeper.

Number 4 is a little too contrasty for me but there's potential there.

Nice shots with good colours. 1 and 2 I think I would have angled the camera down more, 3 perhaps the opposite, less beach would help and 4 is a bit sun high in the sky to be much for me but good idea with the composition.

Back