Mixing HSS and tail sync.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have 2 Quadra Rangers with HS heads and contemplating adding another unit. I am wondering whether to get the new ELB500 or the older ELB400 with another HS head.

Has anyond tried mixing HSS and Tail Sync in the same photo? Do you get a predicable result?

Not interested in Godox or anything else so please don't suggest a change, I like the Elinchrom system.

Regards...

Tail Sync is unpredictable at the best of times, so strictly speaking no. But there's no reason why you shouldn't mix the two if you can get the triggering sorted and if anything, the HSS should help reduce uneven exposure from the Tail Sync. Colour might be a bit different if that's critical.

Depends on the subject/situation. Tail Sync works particularly well outdoors where the extra effective brightness is usually very welcome and the ambient naturally conceals TS fall off.

So pretty much choose one technology or the other then. Pretty much what I thought, just wasn't sure.

Thanks.

One of the main issues is that you want HSS to start at a different time from tail sync so might be possible using 2 triggers stacked
Mike

I was planning to use the Elinchrom HS trigger which would trigger both I think. Just wasn't sure about how predictable the outcome would be. The answer to which, above, is not very.

Regards...

I was planning to use the Elinchrom HS trigger which would trigger both I think. Just wasn't sure about how predictable the outcome would be. The answer to which, above, is not very.

Regards...

Issue is can it do both simultaneously? Tested lots of triggers and none I know could do it, hence the idea of stacking triggers which i have heard discussed with Godox

Mike

Issue is can it do both simultaneously? Tested lots of triggers and none I know could do it, hence the idea of stacking triggers which i have heard discussed with Godox

Mike

I'll send elinchrom an email and try to get it clarified

Regards...

Regards...

If you can use the Elinchrom HS trigger and you get lucky with the sync timing (they're both very similar) then that would make life very much easier. There's always a workaround with these things, but if it comes to stacking triggers and fiddling with different timing off-sets, maybe experimenting with optical slaves etc, then that's extra hassle.

Tail Sync is not so much unpredictable as variable with different cameras and how critical things need to be depending on subject/situation. Basically you need to do a bit of experimentation but once it's working, it should work predictably enough. Elinchrom/TFC will surely have had this question before, so yes it's well worth asking.

While HSS ticks more boxes and Tail Sync is not the current fashion, both methods have distinct advantages. If you're thinking long-term, then when we get global fully-electronic shutters (as we will one day - possibly soon, possibly later) then there'll be no need for either HSS or TS. The pendulum would then swing back the other way to favour short-duration flash like the Elinchrom Action heads.

ps Don't forget the ND filters option that works really well if you don't actually need to freeze movement (eg you just want low f-number/shallow-DoF in bright light). What subjects do you have in mind?

Stopping action isn't an issue for me. I use ND filters indoors and they work just fine with my BRX lights because I am only dealing with flash. Outdoors, ND filters darken both the ambient and flash exposures. And thats where I have the problem. Sometimes two lights isn't enough and an extra one would be very useful. Using HySync has proven very useful and I am trying to decide whether to continue with that or move toward HSS in a mixin match kind of way.

Based on what you have said I think I really need to choose one or the other. Get an ELB 400 for HiSync or sell the Quadras and get 3 ELB 500s

Regards...

Stopping action isn't an issue for me. I use ND filters indoors and they work just fine with my BRX lights because I am only dealing with flash. Outdoors, ND filters darken both the ambient and flash exposures. And thats where I have the problem. Sometimes two lights isn't enough and an extra one would be very useful. Using HySync has proven very useful and I am trying to decide whether to continue with that or move toward HSS in a mixin match kind of way.

Based on what you have said I think I really need to choose one or the other. Get an ELB 400 for HiSync or sell the Quadras and get 3 ELB 500s

Regards...

So long as you're clear on what the options are and how they might work for you. This kind of thing is hard to get your head around at the best of times ;)

But if you're considering that kind of investment, it'd be worth taking the time to visit TFC. Theory and specs and forum opinions etc are one thing but how it all operates for real might be another.

Back