Mixing Speedlights (Nikon Example)

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
So in all likelihood most people that use speedlights probably have a set of series from upgrading which probably causes issues with the advancement in technology.

So how would you for example with a three lighting system use a SB700,SB900 and SB5000. Whilst the SB5000 can be used with the radio the other two can't. suggestions?

I don't have an SB5000 or a camera that supports it, however looking Ken Rockwell's site it appears you can use the Radio (AWS) and Optical triggering (CLS) in conjunction with each other, so you can pick and choose. Or alternatively use CLS on all 3 for perhaps ease of use.

Wireless Control
See How to Use Nikon Wireless Flash.

To create a multi-flash system, you can use either the traditional optical or the new radio system, or use both at the same time.

So in all likelihood most people that use speedlights probably have a set of series from upgrading which probably causes issues with the advancement in technology.

So how would you for example with a three lighting system use a SB700,SB900 and SB5000. Whilst the SB5000 can be used with the radio the other two can't. suggestions?

It's all a bit of a mess, and the SB-5000 will only work in radio mode with the latest model cameras. There are always workarounds but in your position I think the best options are to bypass Nikon's communication system with a third party trigger/receiver system, such as Phottix, Yongnuo or Godox. Or, ditch the whole lot and do what a lot of serious flash users are doing now (including me) and swap to Godox X range of excellent speedlights and strobes. A total system, all operating off one common control unit (y)

There are lots of posts on this if you scroll down this forum.

It's all a bit of a mess, and the SB-5000 will only work in radio mode with the latest model cameras. There are always workarounds but in your position I think the best options are to bypass Nikon's communication system with a third party trigger/receiver system, such as Phottix, Yongnuo or Godox. Or, ditch the whole lot and do what a lot of serious flash users are doing now (including me) and swap to Godox X range of excellent speedlights and strobes. A total system, all operating off one common control unit (y)

There are lots of posts on this if you scroll down this forum.

To add, an easy way (financially) to phase your way into the Godox system, would be to start with three X1R receivers for your current Nikon guns, plus XPro trigger. Then you're good to go, for about £150 all in.

That might be all you need, but you're then free to replace the cumbersome speedlite/receiver units with Godox guns including built-in radio. They're very good, similar to Nikon/Canon, and there's also a lithium powered version (fast recycle). Or add anything else from the extensive Godox range, including battery-powered strobes like the AD200, AD360, AD600 and new AD600 Pro that are currently attracting a lot of attention.

Pixapro are over-branded Godox units (from Essential Photo). Godox system overview here http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

What Richard said.

The camera manufacturers are well behind the curve with the worst being Nikon’s ridiculous move to radio triggering that is neither backward compatible or scaleable.

Go for a decent radio triggering system, there’s plenty to choose from, with Godox being the one that includes multiple types of flash unit with one trigger system.

Godox have a mini speedlight, full size speedlights (AA and LiIon), and portable ETTL and Manual bare bulb units, and a full set of mains powered studio lights, all using the same triggering system, all mix and match.
I have (for instance)
  • 2 speedlights (GN of 35 and 60)
  • AD200 (200Ws battery ETTL)
  • AD360 (manual battery)
  • Lencarta Safari2 (600Ws battery Manual)
  • 2 300Ws mains powered heads.
I’ll be getting a couple more speedlights to replace my Yongnuo’s and getting rid of the AD360 shortly.

How does Phottix compare to Pocketwizard?

Very well. PW, once top-of-the-pile, have suffered badly from some self-inflicted blunders. And they don't make flash units. Sold mine years ago.

You need to decide if you want to build a complete speedlight/studio/location flash system, or if just speedlights will do the job (ie, the ones you already have). Just for speedlights, the triggering options are Phottix, Yongnuo or Godox.

Going beyond that, Phottix offers a very limited range of flash units with compatible receivers build-in. Yongnuo offers nothing but speedlights, but Godox has a huge range of pretty much everything at very good prices and mostly with class-leading performance. In all cases though, you can buy additional receivers to plug into other stuff like studio heads etc for basic triggering.

When you look at the bigger picture, Godox is a no-brainer. They've come from nowhere in a few short years and turned the market upsidedown. If you frequent forums like this, the number of photographers changing over complete flash systems to Godox makes scary reading for rival manufacturers. Bowens has gone, they won't be the last unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back