MK FC100 LED Macro Ring Flash

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
I have been looking at one of these ring flashes. I cannot afford an expensive one and these seem to be well received. I did read one report that it doesn't work properly with his Nikon D90, the same model as I have. If anyone has used one of these I would be very grateful for some feedback. Also, if used for macro can the ringflash be turned on without camera control?

Thanks

Brian

Yes, you can use it continuously on. If used very close it projects a ring of light, so a very close subject can end up inside the central dark patch. So for very close work you need to add some kind of circular reflector, or strong diffuser, to spread light inwards towards the centre of the ring light.

I have an LED Ring Flash and as Chris says it needs a diffuser to work at close distances, I quite often use it for product photography and it works quite well, one thing you have to remember is that it is fully manual, no TTL.

I have decided to go for the Neewer Macro 48 LED Ring Flash RF550D, it come with three flash diffusers as well and is about the same price as the other one. As it has 48LED's instead of 32 I would think it is a better buy. The point is, if I can get to grips with shooting macro I will, in the future, buy a 'proper' one.

Thanks

Brian

I have decided to go for the Neewer Macro 48 LED Ring Flash RF550D, it come with three flash diffusers as well and is about the same price as the other one. As it has 48LED's instead of 32 I would think it is a better buy. The point is, if I can get to grips with shooting macro I will, in the future, buy a 'proper' one.
That's the one I have. You may find that this is better than a "proper" one. They were invented before this technology existed. LEDs allow you to adjust the lighting carefully before the shot, seeing with your eyes the exact effect. A "proper" one has the advantage of freezing motion.

Thanks for that, that has definitely made my mind up.

Brian

Back