Beginner Mlu

Edit My Images
Yes
My d3300 doesnt have this, how important is it with tripod slow shutter speed shots for sharpness?
Thanks

My d3300 doesnt have this, how important is it with tripod slow shutter speed shots for sharpness?
Thanks
What is it?
Mirror Up as against Mirror Lock Up (which it does have and allows you to clean the sensor) - it isn't the end of the world btw, it can in some circumstances improve IQ by a very small amount, but using a good tripod and a remote release (ML-3 I think) will deliver excellent results.

+1
Live view is just as effective as mirror lock up and far more convenient.
I haven't used MLU for years!

Also worth noting it is not just long exposures you need to be careful with; all depends on tripod / camera / lens combination and needs careful testing to see if you are affected.
I've have noticeable blur (viewed at 100%) due to mirror slap on a decent tripod, hard floor, 5DII, 25-105 at mid zoom and shutter speeds that were almost hand-holdable; using live view completely solved the problem.
If in doubt, use live view...

Mirror lock-up is helpful at shutter speeds usually around the 1/15sec to 1/4sec zone. It's less benefit at faster speeds and at longer speeds the vibration doesn't last long enough to form a significant part of the total exposure time.

Mirror lock-up is helpful at shutter speeds usually around the 1/15sec to 1/4sec zone. It's less benefit at faster speeds and at longer speeds the vibration doesn't last long enough to form a significant part of the total exposure time.
If you're seeing something like mirror slap blur at higher shutter speeds it's probably shutter slap. Both show an initial verticalish ghosting of a few to several pixels at the highest visible shutter speed. As shutter speed slows it turns into a mainly vertical smear which gradually broadens and dwindles in size.

Thanks all
Live view with silent shooting mode 1 on canons is best ,have to check the nikons.

Back