mmmmm You look tasty

Edit My Images
Yes
Another one from earlier in the week at Chester.

tasty.jpg

Canon 30d, 100-400L, picture was taken in manual mode, f/5.6 shutterspeed of 1/60 @ ISO 200, focal length was 375mm.

Fence has caused a little artifacting around the top of the frame. Just a slight change to the exposure in lightroom, levels, curves and sharpen in photoshop.

C&C as always, welcome.

thanks sweetie

I'm thinking if you added a bit of gaussian blur just to the weird fence areas at the top they would be less distracting cuz without them it is a good pic.

Yeah the more I look at the picture, the worse it gets :/

The face looks to be spot on, anything to the right of his face its a nightmare. Wish I'd been able to get closer to the fence, but then, I value my fingers too much. ;)

hmm have to agree, couldnt work out what was niggling me until I read the responses... it's the background.
Aww sucks. PDG shot otherwise

Background sucks and the motion blurr is a little of putting, try increasing that shutter speed, need something faster than 1/60th

Other than that, it's a nice shot

ISO could have probably done with a bump but the shutterspeed looks fine from here, the 100-400 has IS remember which has probably saved it from motion blur. The foliage at the front looks sharp enough to tell me theres no motion blur there.

I might try and do something with the background later on this weekend if I get time :)

Thanks for the comments, as always.

Though I think this may be due to shooting through the fence.

I think it's just the bokeh the 100-400 produces in certain circumstances. I've got some examples somewhere showing exactly the same thing.

There is motion blurr, you can see on his bottom jaw. 1/60th is nowhere near a high enough shutter speed, unless the thing is asleep ofcourse.. Just because the lens has IS, doesn't mean the animal will stand still. IS just reduces camera shake.

I think it's motion blur on his Jaw. The IS has done its job allowing you to shoot at 1/60, like you say, you can see that in the foliage.

But IS doesn't compensate for subject movement, which you can see on his Jaw.

You could try selectively blurring around the puddytat, to remove that effect the fence/bokeh has created.

Or get closer next time. Value your fingers? Pah, dont be silly. You've got 10 (well 8 and two thumbs), surely you can sacrifice a few for the sake of a shot? Where's your dedication man?

Marik makes a really valid point. IS helps best with still subjects. It can also help you get interesting effects with some bits moving and others not. I think there is a touch of motion blur just as the head is turning unfortunately.

Even with IS, 1/60 is optimistic. If you use the rule that shutter speed should be quicker than 1/focal length (and after lots of practice I think I'm able to halve that) then the equivalent focal length is 375x1.6=600mm. So you are trying to get just over 3 stops of "shake protection" from a fairly old IS system. Probably pushing it just a bit too hard anyway.

The moment's great but the technical execution has just taken the edge off in my opinion.

Back