Mobile Phone operators

Edit My Images
Yes
Am looking to take my Mobile away from Virgin - I reckon I can do better for my money elsewhere.

At present I get 1500 mins calls , unlimited texts and 1GB Data for £8.29/month

I rarely need Data but it's nice to have some available for when I do need it [ 4 days waiting for a new Superhub proved that :D] Virgin do allow me to roll over unused Data from on month to the next - so the max I can get is 2GB

Been looking and found 'firm' called Smarty - they seem pretty new and use 3 network. Their Small Tariff is a bit better than I'm getting now and costs less - so seems a good idea- and add into that that they give you some cash off the next month if you don't use all your Data !!

Does anyone here use Smarty or has heard anything about it ?

Have have a look at Plusnet, also if you do move check cash back sites to get additional savings.

:agree:

I've just moved to plusnet, get unlimitedtalk, inlimited texts and 6gb data for £10 a month.
The talk time is more important to me and the coverage, plusnet use the BT network, which has only failed me a a very few places, even when others can't get a signal

Am looking to take my Mobile away from Virgin - I reckon I can do better for my money elsewhere.

At present I get 1500 mins calls , unlimited texts and 1GB Data for £8.29/month

I rarely need Data but it's nice to have some available for when I do need it [ 4 days waiting for a new Superhub proved that :D] Virgin do allow me to roll over unused Data from on month to the next - so the max I can get is 2GB

Been looking and found 'firm' called Smarty - they seem pretty new and use 3 network. Their Small Tariff is a bit better than I'm getting now and costs less - so seems a good idea- and add into that that they give you some cash off the next month if you don't use all your Data !!

Does anyone here use Smarty or has heard anything about it ?

I moved to smarty about 4 months ago and it's been great so far. I got 1 month free whe I signed up which was nice. Rolling 1 month contract so can leave at any time which is pretty good :)

I pay £10 a month for unlimitted calls & texts and up to 4GB data. This month I was at home a lot so only used just under 1GB so get about £4 off next month

As you know they're only really reselling the 3 network so if you know that is good in your areas then go for it - I certainly don't regret it

Now that's very helpful - a reaction from a real live user :)

Thanks for that - comment is filed away for reference

I’m with Virgin, got a great deal from them earlier this year. They do seem to run them every now and then so it might be worth checking to see before you go elsewhere. 4 gig of data, 1500 minutes of calls, unlimited texts. £4 a month. :)

Last edited:
So out of interest do you refer to the O2 network as the Telefónica network?

Not referring to anything, just stating a fact, that BT own both EE and Plusnet

Not referring to anything, just stating a fact, that BT own both EE and Plusnet

Actually you stated that plusnet use the BT network, which as pointed out is not correct. They use the EE network. There are four companies that own mobile phone networks in the U.K., EE, O2, Three and Vodafone. Not, BT, Telefónica, CK Hutchison and Vodafone.

I pay £10 a month for unlimitted calls & texts and up to 4GB data. This month I was at home a lot so only used just under 1GB so get about £4 off next month
Thanks for that, I've just checked them out and I can save a fortune!
And there is actually better coverage, where I need it, than EE too.
They are now charging me nearly £20 for free calls free text and 2Gb. I never get near the 2Gb
so the £7.50 one works for me (y)

I use .iD mobile unlimited talk ,texts ( not that’s I need that on a i.phone ) and 4 go data for £8 month lus unused data rolls over

A quick up date from me.
I contacted EE for my pac code, with every intention of switching to smarty,
The guy at EE asked where I was going and started with "Yes but the thing about smarty is ...." I don't want to hear it I said just the
pac code ..
Hang on he says, we can do a deal ... how does £8 sound?
So, after all these years of you slowly increasing my phone tariff, at the death you are prepared to more than half it?
Yes he said proudly..
Well say's I, are you recording this for training purposes?
Yes he say's is there a problem?
Good say's I, in that case stick this in your training file .... you can f*** right off!
Try looking after your customers a bit better and offer them good deals BEFORE they decided to migrate!

Unfortunately, on checking the coverage, again, Smarty is sadly lacking in the area that I need it most.

The good news is, I got an £8 deal from BT. ( same as EE unlimited / unlimited / 2gb. )
I know its pretty much the same servers, and the coverage is pretty much identical, so it'll do :)

Last edited:
:agree:

I've just moved to plusnet, get unlimitedtalk, inlimited texts and 6gb data for £10 a month.
The talk time is more important to me and the coverage, plusnet use the BT network, which has only failed me a a very few places, even when others can't get a signal

Plusnet use EE :)

I would recommend Plusnet too, I have a couple of SIMs with them (car and iPad) and they were the best deals I could fine for low use at the time.

I use plusnet too. They've been pretty good. Some have had data issues recently though. If you use shortcodes then it's no good as they don't support them.

I’d also recommend plusnet. Excellent customer services and if you find a better offer they will transfer you to it.

They are currently doing an offer for 3gb data and unlimited calls and texts for £6 a month

A quick up date from me.
I contacted EE for my pac code, with every intention of switching to smarty,
The guy at EE asked where I was going and started with "Yes but the thing about smarty is ...." I don't want to hear it I said just the
pac code ..
Hang on he says, we can do a deal ... how does £8 sound?
So, after all these years of you slowly increasing my phone tariff, at the death you are prepared to more than half it?
Yes he said proudly..
Well say's I, are you recording this for training purposes?
Yes he say's is there a problem?
Good say's I, in that case stick this in your training file .... you can f*** right off!
Try looking after your customers a bit better and offer them good deals BEFORE they decided to migrate!

Unfortunately, on checking the coverage, again, Smarty is sadly lacking in the area that I need it most.

The good news is, I got an £8 deal from BT. ( same as EE unlimited / unlimited / 2gb. )
I know its pretty much the same servers, and the coverage is pretty much identical, so it'll do :)

This is pretty much what happened to me, but I was just a tad more polite when I told them where to shove the offer.

My contract with EE runs out next month and I have no intention of upgrading my phone so am looking for a sim only deal. Will be interesting to see what they offer when I ask for a PAC code. Their coverage is the best I've ever had so Plusnet/BT looks interesting.

Will be interesting to see what they offer when I ask for a PAC code
Tell them you want the £8 deal or they can answer to me :D

Their coverage is the best I've ever had so Plusnet/BT looks interesting.
I assume you have already looked, but in case not, all the phone providers provide a map of their coverage.

but I was just a tad more polite when I told them where to shove the offer.
What's that? :D

I assume you have already looked, but in case not, all the phone providers provide a map of their coverage.

I find the coverage maps to be pretty useless really, especially in urban environments.

Between my phone, my work phone, my iPad, my wife’s work phone; that cover EE, O2, 3 and Vodafone, real world use age is far off what is shown on the coverage checker. Local topography, the materials whatever building you’re in all have far bigger difference than the actual networks themselves.

Out in the sticks coverage checkers are more useful.

Plusnet/BT/EE all use the same network

EE did the same to me when I left, I said much the same, BT did it when I moved my Broadband too
Seems being a loyal customer means nothing till you decide to leave

I’d also recommend plusnet. Excellent customer services and if you find a better offer they will transfer you to it.

Yep the are UK based and seem to know what they are talking about. which is good

I find the coverage maps to be pretty useless really, especially in urban environments.
I work in mostly rural environments, ( middle of no-where sometimes) and find the maps pretty accurate TBH.
(Obviously I'm looking at the "outside" coverage.)
But the exception that proves the rule, one place is showing as "good" inside and out, its 600 acres of mostly steel clad buildings, the reception there is far from good!

Yep I already said that :)
I know its pretty much the same servers, and the coverage is pretty much identical, so it'll do

Don’t forget that using the same network is only part of the story. Networks give priority to certain customers. For example, if you look at O2, contract customers get priority over prepay customers. Both get priority over Sky Mobile and Tesco Mobile customers. This is usually most apparent in data connection speeds.

Tell them you want the £8 deal or they can answer to me

If they were to offer it, I'd take it tbh, don't really want to change providers if I don't have to.

As BT and Plusnet both use EE, that won't be an issue.

If they were to offer it, I'd take it tbh, don't really want to change providers if I don't have to.
It can be a hassle I agree, Its a shame that, after looking more closely, SMARTY don't cover what I need as they also refund un used data, @ £1.75 / Mb, and I rarely use 1 these days.

Both get priority over Sky Mobile and Tesco Mobile customers. This is usually most apparent in data connection speeds.

As I only use data in emergencies it's not a problem and always been a sim only customer and can't fault that either

I work in mostly rural environments, ( middle of no-where sometimes) :)

You have been barred from most of civilized Uk then? :p ;)

As BT and Plusnet both use EE, that won't be an issue.

Sooo......... if I buy a phone locked to EE or BT or Plusnet, a sim from any of them would work on any of them?

Well that was a bloody palarver!
Every time I tried to access the (BT) sim activation page I got an error.
Finally managed to get on to the live abuse chat and they did it there and then, and accepted the PAC code at the same time.
It's still gonna take 3 days ( to migrate) though.
So now I have 2 active SIMS and of course both charging me for the privilege.

Sooo......... if I buy a phone locked to EE or BT or Plusnet, a sim from any of them would work on any of them?

Probably not, it'll be locked to the provider rather than the actual network I'd have thought.

So now I have 2 active SIMS and of course both charging me for the privilege.

How did that happen ?
When I changed plusnet sent me a sim which wasn't active until they took over the old number.
They told me not to put it in the phone until they said I could
Although I paid a month in advance when I made the order the payments didn't actually start until
everything went live, so the DD starts next month.
EE then charged for the time until I left them

Probably not, it'll be locked to the provider rather than the actual network I'd have thought.

I seem to remember when I switched from o2 to Giffgaff the GG sim worked without unlocking? Or did I dream it?

I seem to remember when I switched from o2 to Giffgaff the GG sim worked without unlocking? Or did I dream it?

Did you keep your old number ?
I had to get the pac code from EE to change to plusnet and keep the number
I buy my own phones which are normally unlocked so don't need to worry about that side

Did you keep your old number ?
I had to get the pac code from EE to change to plusnet and keep the number
I buy my own phones which are normally unlocked so don't need to worry about that side
Yes I did keep my old number and got the Pac code from EE no problem. Took a couple of days to go through I think.
It's just that if it does work that way I will have more choices as I need an handset as my S6 has had a small mishap!

Phones *can* be locked to provider - Tesco phones locked to Tesco SIMs only, despite using the O2 network - but O2 phones could be used with Giffgaff & tesco sims. IIRC O2 no longer lock their phones at all.

Phones *can* be locked to provider - Tesco phones locked to Tesco SIMs only, despite using the O2 network - but O2 phones could be used with Giffgaff & tesco sims. IIRC O2 no longer lock their phones at all.

Correct. 3 phones are unlocked too.

My contract with EE runs out next month and I have no intention of upgrading my phone so am looking for a sim only deal. Will be interesting to see what they offer when I ask for a PAC code. Their coverage is the best I've ever had so Plusnet/BT looks interesting.

Make sure you tell them a month before it ends that you wish not to renew.

Back