mobile phone storage question

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I upgraded my existing phone from whatever the storage by adding a 64GB micro SD card, I've ordered a new phone which already has 64BG storage, ( Motorola G8) it's probably a daft question, but if I put in the 64GBMicro SD card, will it give me 128GB, which will probably be enough storage for me, ( Apparently the G8 can be expanded to 512GB) or will it cancel out the existing storage and leave me with 64GB? Pardon my ignorance.

It's extra storage, but you may not be able to use it the same way you use your internal storage. It's fine if you want it to hold media like music, photos and videos, but apps can't be installled unless you format it as 'adoptable storage' (which has its own disadvantages) and, even then, some apps don't allow installation to SD.

All I can say is with my G5 and it's 10GB internal storage I added a 64GB microSD card as the free space left of the 10GB was all too little..

Note ~ I use the SD as extra storage not 'extended' storage. AFAIK the former means you can put the card in any phone (I have my phone configuration so that with some apps they use the SD for data. The latter means that the card is seen as internal storage so cannot be used in a future phone without loss of the data stored on it.

PS I use the SanDisk Memory Zone app to work with both the internal & card files & data.

Last edited:
I upgraded my existing phone from whatever the storage by adding a 64GB micro SD card, I've ordered a new phone which already has 64BG storage, ( Motorola G8) it's probably a daft question, but if I put in the 64GBMicro SD card, will it give me 128GB, which will probably be enough storage for me, ( Apparently the G8 can be expanded to 512GB) or will it cancel out the existing storage and leave me with 64GB? Pardon my ignorance.

You'll get 128GB.

To use a computer as an analogy, just think of it as if you've got C: Drive and D: Drive.

It's just a matter of using the phone's software to save whatever it is you want to save (ie: Photos, Music files, etc) to either the phone's own built-in storage or the SD card. In a similar way as you would chose to save to the computer's HDD or to a USB memory stick.

Just make sure you backup anything important on the sd card if you use it as a combined storage when in the phone. My sandisk one died and same happened to a friends in a moto g5.

Back